1 2 3
SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
1/7/13 9:07 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote: In reply to 4cylndrfury: I wonder who did that stunt. Pretty impressive.

Rhys Millen IIRC.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltraDork
1/7/13 9:07 a.m.
novaderrik wrote: if you want to be aggravated, you need to experience what happens when the concept of "Minnesota nice" crosses paths with "right of way" rules. the confusion that happens at busy 4 way stop signs when everyone wants to waive everyone one else to go- which leads to everyone eventually going at the same time, only to slam on their brakes in the middle of the intersection at the same time- is the stuff of legend..

I'm pretty sure you're making this up. It just doesn't happen around here. My experience is similar to that of the OP. If it actually does happen, you should patiently rejoice that there are a few generous souls left on this earth, and forgive them their misguided courtesy.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/7/13 9:09 a.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid:

That would make sense.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
1/7/13 9:15 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: She launched from a stop and broadsided you? That is nuts. I have seen people just blow on thru, never slowing down but... how the hell do you not see a car right in front of you when you are sitting there at rest?

It was bizarre, all I can figure is she was looking at her phone or fiddling with the radio or something. The guy behind me in traffic saw the whole thing and was kind enough to give a witness report to the insurance company, they ruled it 100% her fault.

The collision caved in the rear quarter panel on my 325ix which was bad enough, but it also did a number on the suspension - bent trailing arm, broken wheel bearing, damaged half shaft. I do have to give her insurance company (Farmers) some credit, they stepped up to the plate and gave me a very fair settlement for the car.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
1/7/13 9:17 a.m.
1988RedT2 wrote:
novaderrik wrote: if you want to be aggravated, you need to experience what happens when the concept of "Minnesota nice" crosses paths with "right of way" rules. the confusion that happens at busy 4 way stop signs when everyone wants to waive everyone one else to go- which leads to everyone eventually going at the same time, only to slam on their brakes in the middle of the intersection at the same time- is the stuff of legend..
I'm pretty sure you're making this up. It just doesn't happen around here. My experience is similar to that of the OP. If it actually does happen, you should patiently rejoice that there are a few generous souls left on this earth, and forgive them their misguided courtesy.

It's true, I see it all the time in Minneapolis.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/7/13 9:18 a.m.

People also often look to the side of the road where they'll be driving, and drive straight out onto it, assuming the road in front of them is clear because it was when they last saw it a few seconds ago.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/7/13 9:22 a.m.

Just like with blinkers, I never trust people at stop signs. Always assume their not signaling properly, always assume their not stopping at the sign, always assume there is someone running from the police that will cream you in the middle of the intersection, so look both ways.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
1/7/13 9:24 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote:
Swank Force One wrote: I like the driver that does a full panic stop and blows their horn at me because i, in accordance with the law, have actually stopped.... At a stop sign. This is a weekly occurence in the midwest.
Yes, this is centralized around the St Louis area. You're doing it wrong. Get it right, berkeleyer!

Boy, moving from the East Coast to St. Louis was an eye-opener for me. People out there treated the yellow~>red transition the way that Yankees treated the green~>yellow transition: mat the throttle from 50 yards out.

I really had to learn to count to 5 and look carefully both ways after getting a green before it was remotely safe to go. If I had to do that back east, I'd have gotten 5 seconds of angry horn and a finger from the guy behind me.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
1/7/13 9:29 a.m.
stuart in mn wrote:
1988RedT2 wrote:
It's true, I see it all the time in Minneapolis.

This also happens out here in the country a lot. Once you're back into civilization, not so much.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/7/13 9:45 a.m.

In reply to EvanR:

By all means, I think I'm one of the more agressive drivers on the roads......and I hate following people. That said, I stop when I am supposed to, don't drive distracted, and keep right except to pass on the interstates. While I don't cut people off, I sometimes do follow too closely and will highbeam the berkeley out of people who insist on going under the speed limit in the left lane(enough to the point of making an example out of them(i.e. blind them until they get their sense of entitlement out of their heads and retreat defeated back to the loser lane where they belong)

Yea, I'm an shiny happy person on the highways, but I grasp the notion of traffic signs/lights(so thats better than most around here)

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
1/7/13 10:00 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
wbjones wrote: 4 way stops ???? that's why traffic circles are so great
I'm guessing you only deal with these occasionally on neighborhood roads, because people find even more ways to be idiotic with roundabouts. Roundabouts usually exit to merge points and nobody around here knows how to do that. In a roundabout, you're supposed to stick to a lane as much as possible and only cross lanes when entering or exiting, but people take the racing line through them: enter on outside lane, come close to the roundabout on the inside lane, then exit on the outside again. And then there's the highly illegal, dangerous, and ever-popular practice of using the outside lane to pass 2 or more exits.

too bad there isn't a sarcasm emoticon when you need it ....

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
1/7/13 10:07 a.m.
yamaha wrote: I I sometimes do follow too closely and will highbeam the berkeley out of people who insist on going under the speed limit in the left lane(enough to the point of making an example out of them(i.e. blind them until they get their sense of entitlement out of their heads and retreat defeated back to the loser lane where they belong)

you ever thought of moving over to the right lane yourself and just going around them ... that way you don't have to show you ass to everyone around you ?

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
1/7/13 10:08 a.m.

I have a couple 4-way stops on my commute to and from work and at least once a week I have to honk someone into not hitting me. There are constant incidents of people following other cars through the 4-way, treating it as a stop and go, etc. People are idiots.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/7/13 10:26 a.m.
wbjones wrote: you ever thought of moving over to the right lane yourself and just going around them ... that way you don't have to show you ass to everyone around you ?

I'd rather not. I've been stopped and ticketed for unsafe passing on the right before.

Interstates are meant for slower traffic to keep right, is it wrong for me to expect others to do this? I just wish ISP would actually ticket berkeleyers camped out in the left......they'd make more money than pegging speeders and have a safer interstate.

EvanR wrote: Unless you drive a CVPI with flashing lights on the roof, it is not your job to enforce the vehicle and traffic code.

You're right, its not......I still don't care.

EvanR
EvanR HalfDork
1/7/13 10:27 a.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to EvanR: While I don't cut people off, I sometimes do follow too closely and will highbeam the berkeley out of people who insist on going under the speed limit in the left lane.

Unless you drive a CVPI with flashing lights on the roof, it is not your job to enforce the vehicle and traffic code.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/7/13 11:04 a.m.

In reply to EvanR:

Well, technically it IS illegal in many states to cruise the left Lane of a state highway. The laws are just written differently as usual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZhdvl_P1Zc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/7/13 11:36 a.m.
EvanR wrote: Unless you drive a CVPI with flashing lights on the roof, it is not your job to enforce the vehicle and traffic code.

I don't drive an ambulance but I'd stop to help someone who was hurt. Quit passing the buck.Ramming ignorant drivers out of the way is just the right thing to. Like kicking the homeless out of parks because they stink. Why does it have to always be someone else's job to make this world a better place?

Auto ADD
Auto ADD Dork
1/7/13 12:29 p.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to EvanR: By all means, I think I'm one of the more agressive drivers on the roads......and I hate following people. That said, I stop when I am supposed to, don't drive distracted, and keep right except to pass on the interstates. While I don't cut people off, I sometimes do follow too closely and will highbeam the berkeley out of people who insist on going under the speed limit in the left lane(enough to the point of making an example out of them(i.e. blind them until they get their sense of entitlement out of their heads and retreat defeated back to the loser lane where they belong) Yea, I'm an shiny happy person on the highways, but I grasp the notion of traffic signs/lights(so thats better than most around here)

Down here in TX, doing this will get you shot if you keep it up. Cowboy Cadillacs live in the left lane and tend to go 10 to 15 under the limit which is legal. Except for the whole left lane is for passing only.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/7/13 12:37 p.m.

In reply to Auto ADD:

Hmmm, your guys right lane is passing only.....who thought that was a great idea with semi's around?

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
1/7/13 12:57 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote:

Well, it happens around here. All the berkeleying time. People will stop at an intersection where there IS NO STOP SIGN to let the person with the stop sign go. If I am the person at the stop sign, I've learned to calmly press the horn until the mouth-breathing numbtard who's stopped in the middle of the road for no apparent reason figures out what the berkeley she's doing.

Maybe they're being nice. Maybe they can't afford their car payment anymore, and are waiting for me to pull out so they can T-bone me, and the accident will be my fault since I didn't have the right of way. Either way, I'm following the rules, courtesy be damned.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
1/7/13 1:39 p.m.
jere wrote: when I come to an intersection that has other cars stopped I give them 3 seconds to go through the crossing. After that I assume they are idiots and proceed through myself.

Same here. I am a very aggressive driver and don't tolerate stuff like that. If you just pay attention, and play by the rules, it works so much better for everybody. Don't get me started on people that slow down to let others merge on the highway

robertcope
robertcope New Reader
1/7/13 1:57 p.m.
Auto ADD wrote: Down here in TX, doing this will get you shot if you keep it up. Cowboy Cadillacs live in the left lane and tend to go 10 to 15 under the limit which is legal. Except for the whole right lane is for passing only.

That is not legal in Texas. The left lane is for passing only. They even have signs on most highways telling you this.

It feels really wrong to pass on the right, I'll usually flash my lights for a while in an attempt to get folks to move over. Doesn't usually work. I think they're too stupid to understand.

robert

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
1/7/13 3:41 p.m.

it saves a lot of hate and discontent if you'll just roll up behind them ... wait a moment then smoothly slide to the right and move on down the road ... the whole flashing lights, gesturing, horn blowing thing will, this-day-n-age, eventually get you shot

whether you're right or wrong you're going to eventually have a problem ....

this from someone that couldn't have been told this in-any-way-shape-or-form 30 yrs ago ... even 20 ... but I've finally learned ... it's a lot easier on my inner self if I just ease off a bit

novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
1/7/13 3:54 p.m.
wbjones wrote: 4 way stops ???? that's why traffic circles are so great

oh, you should see ho Minnesota Nice mixes with the new circle they put up in Fergus Falls. this is the first circle like this within at least a 200 mile radius, and they built it as an experiment to go along with a brand new bridge over the river... it is treated as a 4 way stop by most people- and they stop AFTER the yield signs, with their nose sticking out in the circle part. when they do go, they creep thru at about 5mph. this has happened every time i've driven across it during daylight hours in the 2 months or so that it's been open. and the truly sad part is that one of the roads that lead to the circle goes directly to I94, where they also don't know how to merge despite having to do it for the last 40+ years...

and while my Cavalier might not be suitable for drifting, i can go around the circle at 40mph if there isn't anyone else around..

Auto ADD
Auto ADD Dork
1/7/13 4:04 p.m.

oops

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3dWjLGK2Fo8WS6KbYfUawGjfoZOWbc4ANmplPDPhPhfKiKNYqoGi7ciElHj23cnb