1 2 3
pilotbraden
pilotbraden Dork
9/5/12 10:39 a.m.

I don't often reach for a handgun in the dark, but when I do it is usually a Ruger MKII. I dispatched 3 late night prowlers in may with it. (porcupines)

yamaha
yamaha HalfDork
9/5/12 10:42 a.m.

In reply to Conquest351:

7.65mm and 9mm
I have only seen 2 in my lifetime, both in .32acp(7.65)

I swear I've seen some others similar to them that were .22 or .25 though(can't remember the names)

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UltraDork
9/5/12 10:47 a.m.

In reply to pilotbraden:

My Buckmark has been used for the same duty. Granted one time I used an old Marlin bolt action with a 4 power scope and loaded with SSS. Very quiet, heard the thump and it made a hell of a mess because the SSS tumbles coming outa that rifle (incorrect barrel twist for it)

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
9/5/12 12:02 p.m.

Somewhere I read that a .22 has a higher muzzle velocity than a .45, the only real difference is the inertia due to the size of the slug.

chuckles
chuckles Reader
9/5/12 12:20 p.m.

.22 bullets are highly penetrative.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Reader
9/5/12 12:22 p.m.

Stopping power is all in the energy. Can you kill a bear with a .22? Sure. Would you try given access to other firearms? Hell no.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
9/5/12 12:27 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: Stopping power is all in the energy. Can you kill a bear with a .22? Sure. Would you try given access to other firearms? Hell no.

Well, since you just dared me - now I have to.

Drewsifer
Drewsifer Dork
9/5/12 12:46 p.m.

.22lr isn't considered a worthy self defensive cartridge because rim fire cartridges are not overly famous for reliability, and most .22lr loads don't make the 12" minimum penetrate as called for by the FBI standards in ballistic gel tests.

It's not a bad choice, there are just definitely better options.

Also good for this guy.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Dork
9/5/12 12:54 p.m.

Good, now you can go tell that vet that defended his home you can piss farther than he can. I am sure he won't care about that either.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
9/5/12 12:58 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: Somewhere I read that a .22 has a higher muzzle velocity than a .45, the only real difference is the inertia due to the size of the slug.

given that most pistol cartridges are subsonic unless the round is loaded hot or shot from a long barrel, or both, thats not really that hard to do. any high velocity 22 round will be supersonic, around 1100-1200 fps, for example, 9mm is around 950 fps.

now, muzzle energy would be something different, a .45 round out of a slingshot probably has more muzzle energy than a 22LR

yamaha
yamaha HalfDork
9/5/12 12:59 p.m.

Wait, instead of the m1 carbine I could always answer the door with the K98 mauser......speaking only german.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
9/5/12 1:02 p.m.
yamaha wrote: Wait, instead of the m1 carbine I could always answer the door with the K98 mauser......speaking only german.

Answer the door covered in bees.

yamaha
yamaha HalfDork
9/5/12 1:04 p.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

Buwahahahaha

kazoospec
kazoospec Reader
9/5/12 1:27 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: Stopping power is all in the energy. Can you kill a bear with a .22? Sure. Would you try given access to other firearms? Hell no.

Yep, it can be done. My great uncle killed a medium sized black bear with a .22. He came nose to nose with it while rabbit hunting and just kept shooting it in the head until the magazine was empty. Fortunately, it went down. Would he have given his left arm for a 12 gauge and some slugs at that point, you betcha. Yeah, I know, "Cool story bro".

ronholm
ronholm Reader
9/5/12 2:27 p.m.

Retired Green Beret shoots intruder, gets court martial

BREVARD, Jan. 19, 2008 – Retired Army Green Beret Smokey Taylor got his court martial this weekend and came away feeling good about it. Taylor, at age 80 the oldest member of Chapter XXXIII of the Special Forces Association, was on trial by his peers under the charge of “failing to use a weapon of sufficient caliber” in the shooting of an intruder at his home in Knoxville, TN, in December.

. Taylor had been awakened in the early morning hours of Dec. 17, 2007, when an intruder broke into his home. He investigated the noises with one of his many weapons in hand.

When the intruder threatened him with a knife, Taylor warned him, then brought his .22 caliber pistol to bear and shot him right between the eyes.

“That boy had the hardest head I’ve ever seen,” Taylor said after his trial. “The bullet bounced right off.” The impact knocked the would-be thief down momentarily. He crawled out of the room then got up and ran out the door and down the street. Knoxville police apprehended him a few blocks away and he now awaits trial in the Knox County jail. The charges against Taylor were considered to be serious. He is a retired Special Forces Weapons Sergeant with extensive combat experience during the wars in Korea and Vietnam.

“Charges were brought against him under the premise that he should have saved the county and taxpayers the expense of a trial,” said Chapter XXXIII President Bill Long of Asheville. “He could have used a .45 or .38. The .22 just wasn’t big enough to get the job done.”

Taylor’s defense attorney, another retired Weapons Sergeant, disagreed. He said Taylor had done the right thing in choosing to arm himself with a .22.

“If he’d used a .45 or something like that the round would have gone right through the perp, the wall, the neighbor’s wall and possibly injured some innocent child asleep in its bed,” he said. “I believe the evidence shows that Smokey Taylor exercised excellent judgment in his choice of weapons. He did nothing wrong, and clearly remains to this day an excellent weapons man.”

Counsel for the defense then floated a theory as to why the bullet bounced off the perp’s forehead. “He was victimized by old ammunition,” he said, “just as he was in Korea and again in Vietnam, when his units were issued ammo left over from World War II.”

Taylor said nothing in his own defense, choosing instead to allow his peers to debate the matter. After the trial he said the ammunition was indeed old and added the new information that the perp had soiled his pants as he crawled out of the house.

“I would have had an even worse mess to clean up if it had gone through his forehead,” Taylor said. “It was good for both of us that it didn’t.” Following testimony from both sides, Taylor was acquitted of the charges and was given a round of applause.

Meanwhile, back in Knox County, the word is out: Don’t go messing with Smokey Taylor. He just bought a whole bunch of fresh ammo.

Tribune Editor Bill Fishburne is a member of the Larry Thorne Chapter XXXIII of the Special Forces Association.

Grizz
Grizz Dork
9/5/12 2:44 p.m.

Depends on the .22.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH2nN_5OHLs

yamaha
yamaha HalfDork
9/5/12 2:48 p.m.

In reply to ronholm:

Theres alot of retarded things in that post.......

yamaha
yamaha HalfDork
9/5/12 2:52 p.m.

Needs more .22 hornet 10 shot revolver talk....

Conquest351
Conquest351 SuperDork
9/5/12 4:11 p.m.

.17 HMR is a nasty little round... Necked down .22 mag... I haz one. I loves it.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Dork
9/5/12 4:35 p.m.

In reply to Conquest351:

[sarcasm] But its sooooo much smaller than a .45 [sarcasm]

BoostedBrian
BoostedBrian Dork
9/5/12 4:49 p.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: My friends that are into guns insist on having huge crazy guns as their home defense weapons. As much as I like big guns, I wouldn't hesitate to grab my 10/22 over my M1 or Shotgun if someone was coming into my home. The only real advantage I see to having a big gun is for the intimidation factor.

I don't know about you guys but a gun is intimidation factor enough. If I wind up on the wrong end of a barrel I'm not about to ask the shooter "Hey man, is that an AR15?" NO! I'm getting the hell out of dodge.

And just for Gits and Shiggles.

Conquest351
Conquest351 SuperDork
9/5/12 5:20 p.m.

Look at the grain of a bullet. That's the weight for those who don't know. The more weight = the more mass. The more mass the more energy. The more energy it carries, the more energy it can deliver. It's all energy transfer. A lighter grain bullet will haul ASS. Doing so will make it accurate and usually penetrate very well. The lighter weight bullets will usually dump all their energy quickly and that's why they're really effective against small game. Larger grain bullets will hit hard and dump energy a little deeper. Higher velocity heavier grain rounds will tend to overpenetrate, AKA go through the intended target. The reason the .45 is such a beloved caliber is because it does it's job VERY effectively. It makes a big ass hole and dumps energy very effectively. A 9mm will usually punch a hole right through a person as it's a very high velocity round.

This is all information I've gathered, your results may vary, blah blah blah. I'm sure someone who is more of an expert than me will correct some of my blabbering, but the jist of what I'm saying is true.

oldtin
oldtin SuperDork
9/5/12 5:32 p.m.

Not sure why anyone cares about intimidation - seems the guys coming up the basement stairs or Earl didn't really take a moment to review the various parties armament status - guy opens door and promptly took one in the chest, so even if they were dragging a mini gun up the stairs - didn't matter, Like a lot of fights - first strike that lands usually wins. Kinda makes me wonder if the bad guy even saw Earl before he got put down.

Will
Will Dork
9/5/12 6:18 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: That's why I don't get why people hate on .22s. They are just as fatal as anything else.

This is simply not true. As we have seen in this case, under the right set of circumstances, a .22 will get the job done. If it's all you have handy when a gunfight starts, then use it. But to say it is as fatal or effective as other rounds is just wrong. It's like saying a Miata is as fast as a Ferrari, because this one time, a Miata won a race.

According to ballistics on Remington's site, their 230 grain .45 ACP FMJ round has 356 lb-ft of muzzle energy. The 124 grain 9mm FMJ has 339 lb-ft. The 40 grain .22 LR round has 40 lb-ft.

A .22 will not penetrate as deep as proper defensive calibers, and it will not produce as large a wound channel.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UltraDork
9/5/12 7:12 p.m.
Will wrote:
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: That's why I don't get why people hate on .22s. They are just as fatal as anything else.
This is simply not true. As we have seen in this case, under the right set of circumstances, a .22 will get the job done. If it's all you have handy when a gunfight starts, then use it. But to say it is as fatal or effective as other rounds is just wrong. It's like saying a Miata is as fast as a Ferrari, because this one time, a Miata won a race. According to ballistics on Remington's site, their 230 grain .45 ACP FMJ round has 356 lb-ft of muzzle energy. The 124 grain 9mm FMJ has 339 lb-ft. The 40 grain .22 LR round has 40 lb-ft. A .22 will not penetrate as deep as proper defensive calibers, and it will not produce as large a wound channel.

Indeed. Marshall and Sanow's datas show the .22LR (out of a handgun) has at best a 34% one shot stop. The 125gr .357 and the 135gr .40 S&W both post 96% "success" rates.

I'm in no way volunteering to get shot by a .22, and the caliber you have is better than the caliber you don't, but empirically you cannot claim the .22LR is as fatal as anything else.

Blah blah blah, fatal vs stopping. Still, explain the difference to that FBI agent in Miami that fired the fatal shot, that didn't kill the guy till he killed that agent and another.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qQcbCQNM0vecH2KPG9ceSsifFgbxIgoEwlBx5umQmgpHMO2Exzd2cwGercf9sNue