1 2 3 4
ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
2/2/21 8:38 p.m.

Watching Doug Demuro talk about cars is just plain painful.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Reader
2/6/21 10:26 a.m.

I am at a point that I cant really watch any of them.

I watched some VINwiki for a bit but that got old to me. Some of the stories were good, some were ok, some were bad. But I just got tired of it.

MCM - I only watched one series, when they did the MR2...because I have one.

Sarah N Tuned - Again, MR2 footage/content. But I stopped after a bit because I got tired of the sexual innuendos.

Call me the grumpy old man (at 38), but even in my 20s, when going to the NOPI events and stuff, I didnt care about the bikini girls and stuff, I just want to see cool/fast cars at a car event.

The one annoying guy who buys trashed exotics and rebuilds Sam Rack or something... dont remember. THat guy was annoying as hell. I watched a bit as he bought a 911 super cheap and had it on the road for under 10k. That was cool. Then he got a Ferrari and just got super annoying with his ads and such - we ARENT talking about your cheap looking watch that's the size of a pie pan.

The Donut Media stuff is ok from time to time, their HiLow series is interesting, the Throtl guys have some neat builds from time to time. But I just dont watch much YT for car video content like this. I watch stuff on how to fix my car, typically. Or race footage.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Reader
2/6/21 10:26 a.m.

OH - and let me add - I'd love to be able to have their money to screw around with cars and get free parts and stuff - totally jealous.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/21 3:56 p.m.

The only "car guy" channel I pay attention to, besides BOM, is Jimmy Broadbent, and he's more about the driving than the building.

He started out doing sim videos, but leveraging off of that he has been on Top Gear, done color commentating for broadcast sim racing, and now has a driver's seat in a real-world series.

What is nice is how down to earth he is.  He has used his monetization skills to have a turbo on his MX-5... then bought an R32 GT-R... then bought an R35... and most recently bought a first generation WRX.  But all through it, his attitude is "what is this I can't even" how he is able to actually obtain the cars he had fanboyed over for so long.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/6/21 4:25 p.m.

I think the real question is how can Scotty Kilmer have any subscribers at all? Jesus, that dude is irritating. 

lrrs
lrrs HalfDork
2/6/21 6:33 p.m.
ShawnG said:

Watching Doug Demuro talk about cars is just plain painful.

I was done when he reviewed a 70's Cadillac and stated the high beam dimmer on the floor was a quirk. Had he never driven a 60s ot 70s us built car before ?

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
2/6/21 8:31 p.m.
Appleseed said:

I think the real question is how can Scotty Kilmer have any subscribers at all? Jesus, that dude is irritating. 

I've never watched one of his videos, the clickbaity titles told me all I needed to know.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
2/6/21 9:43 p.m.

Scotty is a YT phenom who has made a fortune doing his schtick. He basically gives actual info in the first few sentences and then just repeats himself while waving his hands for the next five minutes.

I like Ratchets N Wrenches. He's pretty grassroots and often funny.

There is a channel Restored where they resurrect abandoned cars kind of like Vice Grip Garage but without the humor. They have great camera work but have absolutely no idea what editing is. They just let the camera run while they stand around and scratch their chins while stating the obvious. I've tried to like them but...just can't.

white_averson
white_averson New Reader
3/2/21 10:11 a.m.

I couldn't help but join this discussion. Its difficult to find good content on YouTube but there are a few that I've been a fan of recently.

Gingium has several builds including a turbo Miata, swapping a Subaru drivetrain into a Miata, Mazda drift truck, and a LS-swapped Volvo wagon. He's relatable for me at least being younger and learning as he goes. I also think his builds are awesome.

I just started watching Street Banditos as they have a full carbon fiber 240z build and are super down to earth. Less relatable but cool none the less.

Granted I'm part of the generation that seems to support the click bait content so maybe my taste isn't the best.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
3/2/21 7:02 p.m.

My friend Kevin does a lot of fabrication and Holly EFI work for Cleetus.  He recently started up his own YT channel, and already has over 165k subscribers.  He mostly does drag stuff (he’s close to Gainesville), but he also preps the Trans-Am SGT class Viper of Lee Saunders (2 time, and defending SGT champ), and three Champcar rides, two of which are rentals.  I rent a seat from him in the 300Z Speedster at Sebring and Daytona every year.  He definitely knows what he’s doing on the road race side too.

https://youtube.com/user/TheCutlassRacer

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
3/2/21 7:55 p.m.

In reply to racerfink :

I along with 100k other people subscribed to kevin because of garrett. His el camino build for garrett (cleetus) is absolutely crazy. I hope he's treated well, because he's 100% the reason for their new success at drag racing. The man is a wizard at the track. 

Also, his personality and demeanor make for the perfect watching him build while I'm working. That's so cool you are friends with him. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/2/21 8:31 p.m.

Since I'm surely right now, berk Donut Media. I'm glad the YouTubes algarythm finally gave up recommending that. Lawd, Jesus, its awful. 

adam525i (Forum Supporter)
adam525i (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/3/21 7:43 a.m.

In reply to lnlogauge and racerfink :

I'm one of those that came over as well with that build but am really enjoying the insights on the Viper and what they do to make that thing work on track. He's mentioned running champcar as well and there's one or two Miata's at the shop so hopefully we get some content on that stuff at some point.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/3/21 8:33 a.m.

I've gotten sucked into the Ratarossa 512BB resurrection.  I really don't enjoy his over the top enthusiam, and I'm not entirely sure he has a clue how stuff works, but the car is interesting.

aw614
aw614 Reader
3/3/21 4:03 p.m.
hybridmomentspass said:

Sarah N Tuned - Again, MR2 footage/content. But I stopped after a bit because I got tired of the sexual innuendos.

I still enjoy her channel because of the her choice of builds with her Audi TT, MR2, and Focus. It was completely random finding her channel was I just want to see how bad a 1.8t waterpump timing belt change was and have stuck around since. 

But, I can't get into some of the larger car YouTuber channels that are popular with all my friends so I just skip them. Especially the ones with exotics and people who seem to have an unlimited source of income. 

Most of the time I watch the small Honda based channels some who are local to me and I've got to meet at some Honda track events such as Refine Movement: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXewnZC2Xqmd_ps42Evm1rw For me, this is the kind of content I enjoy over the larger channels that have x exotic or a new project car of the month.

I also like HumbleMechanics videos Volkswagen/Audi cars, informative on VW mods and also their associated issues we all know and love lol. 

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
3/3/21 5:04 p.m.

I signed up for Hagerty when I did a SCCA TNiA a few years back.  Just found out in the latest issue they sent me, they have a YT channel.  Looks promising.

https://youtube.com/c/Hagerty

NC240Zed
NC240Zed New Reader
4/2/21 12:35 a.m.

Didn't see it mentioned, but I like the ChrisFix channel and think he deserves a shout out. High quality filming and production values, but a slower release schedule. It's all filmed 1st Person/Point-of-View style. It can be a bit slightly simplistic at times (and perhaps too positive for grumpy old guys), but for something you've never done it's interesting to see the entire process. I think his series of "how to super-clean" various bits of the car are very informative just for new ideas & tips and tricks.

Of course he's got the same "way too many cars" problem most Youtubers and GRM readers have, but most of his stuff is realistic, and he wrenches in his driveway. His channel would be my recommendation to anyone new to working on cars that wants to see what working on cars is all about.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fumaFiD7clQkoMhx1mYM88zBvZkYjtG9SzQzUxUt4Jz6eeWktFIOJ12JNlJUFEn3