9/17/13 8:45 a.m.

In reply to fanfoy:

Interesting... the 4-post does ship to the US:

http://www.hamercarlift.com/HAMER-EXPORT

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/13 7:27 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost:

I keep forgetting to ask: Do the rollers damage the floor at all?

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
9/18/13 7:48 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

Any dust or dirt will get crushed and ground into the surface, so you know where the rollers have been traveling, but damage to the concrete? No... Not in my garage, or at my ex-g/f's garage where the concrete was a bit softer (dusted easier).

Woody
9/18/13 8:38 p.m.

I'd hate to screw up the floor with one of these things. I wonder if you can put a steel plate under just the roller area.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
9/19/13 7:39 a.m.
Woody wrote: I'd hate to screw up the floor with one of these things. I wonder if you can put a steel plate under just the roller area.

Yes. I've seen that done, although mainly where guys have fancy floors. Tile or something where there are joints to deal with. Unless you can get really thick plate steel, the rollers with eventually curve the plate like and English wheel. For bare, unfinished concrete, I don't see how the floor could get screwed up unless the concrete is really sub-par, in which case even a floor jack will eff it up.

IMHO - you're over-thinking it...

Woody
9/19/13 7:42 a.m.
Ian F wrote: IMHO - you're over-thinking it...

That would be me...

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
9/19/13 7:52 a.m.

I can't see anything other than the dist Ian talked about. My floor is a typical early 1950's pour, has a few cracks and such. I keep my car on the lift, so there's always a load on those rollers.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/19/13 11:14 a.m.
fanfoy wrote: But I wounder why we don't see the smaller/cheaper lifts that they have in Europe? Those are just a few that I think are interesting:

Have you seen this guy?

http://www.bendpak.com/Shop-Equipment/QuickJack/

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Reader
9/19/13 12:05 p.m.

Slight thread hijack.

Anyone recognize this lift, know anything about them? Seller claims it's Rotary, "all you need is air" to run it, but then goes on to state the power pack is bad.

The pictures aren't of the actual lift, seller claims to have 2 just alike, the one pictured, and a red one that they're selling. Semi local (about 3 hour drive). Worth $400? Would it fit in the bed of a truck, I can't judge size based on those pictures alone?

• Lee
fanfoy
fanfoy HalfDork
9/19/13 12:29 p.m.
codrus wrote:
fanfoy wrote: But I wounder why we don't see the smaller/cheaper lifts that they have in Europe? Those are just a few that I think are interesting:
Have you seen this guy? http://www.bendpak.com/Shop-Equipment/QuickJack/

That's a new one. I like the fact that it's self-supporting and can be set-up anywhere. But how much is it? That seems to be the hard part with those specialized lifts, they often are as expensive as a full-size model.

Like the EZ car lift, which I find is a brilliant idea, but 2k for the base model?

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
9/19/13 1:24 p.m.
bigdaddylee82 wrote: Slight thread hijack. Anyone recognize this lift, know anything about them? Seller claims it's Rotary, "all you need is air" to run it, but then goes on to state the power pack is bad. The pictures aren't of the actual lift, seller claims to have 2 just alike, the one pictured, and a red one that they're selling. Semi local (about 3 hour drive). Worth $400? Would it fit in the bed of a truck, I can't judge size based on those pictures alone? - Lee

That looks pretty stinking long, longer than a long bed pickup me thinks. I doubt the lift cylinder is pneumatic. I don't think I'd like a pneumatic lift. Air compresses, the car can bounce a bit and that would freak me out!! I'd ask for more details and pics.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition HalfDork
9/19/13 1:27 p.m.
fanfoy wrote:
codrus wrote:
Have you seen this guy? http://www.bendpak.com/Shop-Equipment/QuickJack/
That's a new one. I like the fact that it's self-supporting and can be set-up anywhere. But how much is it? That seems to be the hard part with those specialized lifts, they often are as expensive as a full-size model. Like the EZ car lift, which I find is a brilliant idea, but 2k for the base model?

The Quickjack is new and hasn't been priced, yet. Name has been changed to TrackJack as the target market is the racing community. At least partly because it has a max weight of 3500 lbs. A 5000 lb version is in the works.

Several of the UK jacks have a similar problem. If they sell to the broader market it won't be long before some idiot tries to lift a Suburban with one. Death and lawsuits soon resulting. Europeans are VERY afraid of our legal system.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
9/19/13 3:00 p.m.
Basil Exposition wrote: Europeans are VERY afraid of our legal system.

WHAT!! We should sue them for being afraid of our legal system then! That'll teach them

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Reader
9/19/13 3:01 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost:

After some further Google sleuthing, I believe it's a Rotary ROT-VMP6, discontinued. Based on this Youtube video of what I believe to be the same lift, it's quite a bit larger than I originally thought, too big for my garage. Also I don't think it's designed to be pneumatic, guy must have just been using the hydraulic cylinder as a pneumatic one since the power pack quit working, no thanks.

http://youtu.be/sTjNXmEw0lo (House of Pain ring tone, got a little chuckle out of me)

• Lee
codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/19/13 3:07 p.m.
fanfoy wrote: That's a new one. I like the fact that it's self-supporting and can be set-up anywhere. But how much is it? That seems to be the hard part with those specialized lifts, they often are as expensive as a full-size model.

Pricing pending.

The QuickJack isn't quite the same as a full-sized lift, though. It's lightweight and portable, so you can throw it in the trailer and take it to the track with you, and it runs off DC so you can just power it off a car battery. Want to change tires between runs at the autocross? This is the lift for that. :)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aB1MhFc9zbyxDpMcLIoEk3qnF1scozxhaYhquoXtjkYWE2CKH5XMHv0qOA9bCawt