GrandpaShifting
GrandpaShifting New Reader
4/4/24 3:26 a.m.

Stripped down my car to get ready for paint, but I've got to put it on pause for a few months. What is a quick and simple solution to apply to the whole frame and naked panels of the car to prevent rust? Anything I could simply pick up at a local Home Depoish store and that is easily removable when I do go to paint the car?

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/4/24 4:36 a.m.

I am sure there is something better but I use rattle can clear coat to prevent flash rust. Not sure about going to paint after but it does the job for now.

Spearfishin
Spearfishin Reader
4/4/24 6:23 a.m.

I've wondering the same for my recently(ish) completed cage. "Best laid plans" and all, but instead of painting it the next weekend, we're like 2 months out and counting. So far it's holding up ok, but summer and all the humidity it brings, is right around the corner in "stalled project" land.

I don't want to put something oily that just makes eventual paint prep a nightmare. I've half considered just putting a fast and dirty prime coat with semi reckless abandon...but heck, if I take the time to mask anything for that, I'm halfway home on just doing it "right".

Sorry, no help, just commiserating. 

GrandpaShifting
GrandpaShifting New Reader
4/4/24 7:40 p.m.

In reply to Spearfishin :

All good. Hopefully some more people chime in with options.

gsettle
gsettle Reader
4/5/24 9:48 a.m.

WD-40 cleans off pretty easy with acetone... I would probably re-apply it monthly though, 

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/5/24 8:37 p.m.

Look into LPS products. Yes, you'll have to clean them off but they'll keep rust at bay. LPS-3 is the longest-lasting of the bunch, and it does work a treat. 

JBinMD
JBinMD Reader
4/6/24 6:04 p.m.

I have always heard that epoxy primer is the best thing for preventing rust.  Two medium-wet coats, done.  Although it can't be stored outside in direct sunlight long term because it doesn't have the UV blockers in it like the clear coat does.  

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy HalfDork
8/28/24 1:18 a.m.

In reply to GrandpaShifting :

just some car wax will do, just dont buff it off

Apexcarver
Apexcarver MegaDork
8/28/24 4:52 a.m.

How will it be stored?  Garage? How moist an environment?

If garage, priming is likely best. Wd40 would be a prep nightmare trying to avoid fish eyeing in eventual paint job. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JPCPl08hoF6uzucstHiQcwm6ALLe8BI9PBNLxk2c1xLy6qMDDfaBQKrEN1bw8DZZ