RSinMO
RSinMO New Reader
9/7/24 4:36 p.m.

Hey guys, 1st time poster here. I'm in the process of swapping an AR5 transmission into a 2000 2wd Silverado that originally had an NV3500, and I had some questions regarding driveline angle before I fab up a transmission crossmember. Forgive me for this being long winded, but I want to avoid costly mistakes  

This truck utilizes a 2 piece driveshaft. 

It is my understanding that we want between .5° and 3° of total operating angle. 

With the truck sitting on the ground and suspension under load, I zeroed my angle finder relative to the rear pinion flange. With the gauge zeroed I attempted to match the engine/trans combo to 0° by jacking the combo up or down from under the transmission. 

By the time I reach ~2.5°, the mechanical fan is hitting the bottom of the shroud, and the trans is sitting way up high in the tunnel. As I try to match the pinion angle I am effectively dropping the front of the engine as it pivots at the motor mounts. This truck is stock ride height so my concern is that the engine/trans angle surely did not match the pinion angle from the factory as I never had any issues with the fan contacting the shroud. 

Am I safe to assume that tilting the engine/trans downward at a greater angle that I will be okay as long as I do not exceed 3° difference relative to the pinion flange?

Basically my engine/trans/front driveshaft would all be angled downward roughly ~4.5° relative to the ground, and the pinion flange would be facing upward only ~2° relative to the ground.

Additionally, does the front driveshaft angle need to be between 0°-½° of the transmission output shaft? I am visualizing the front driveshaft as essentially nothing other than a straight extension of the transmission output shaft. The ½° being only for proper ujoint lubrication. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
9/12/24 3:43 p.m.

Might get more answers in the main forum, but my understanding with two piece driveshafts is that the rear driveshaft should have u-joints of equal and opposite angles.  The front driveshaft u-joint does need a bit of angle for lubrication purposes, but I think it can safely go over 0.5 degrees.  I would assume (possibly incorrectly), that you could get away with raising the mounting point of the carrier bearing to help line up the u-joints, as long as the angle doesn't get too extreme on the front driveshaft u-joint.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/12/24 5:38 p.m.

Can't you simple change the pinion angle to get the angles close?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Cv5C3wPjpmVIhiG9sCE7WiP5xbrFeo5kuF1C6gTP7sDfaCYo7pruaypDUg9Vt464