OjaiM5
OjaiM5 HalfDork
5/7/24 3:18 p.m.

My son and I are building his e36 and a few of the panels have shot clear coat. The car is black and instead of buying paint store supplies that would have added up to a few hundred dollars I decided just to blast it with Turbo cans.  $15 at lowes and I only needed 3 cans. I took some time to prep the car correctly. 

Fist off, it sprays very messy. The amount of paint that comes out is so gnarly. I laid it down juicy and got runs. It also is very difficult not to get a good amount of orange peel.  The end result after spraying was pretty bad. However because of how much paint gets laid out it wet sands to a very nice paint job. I will put up some pictures after I polish it. I think for a budget teenager car it is plenty good. All in all I would recommend it especially if you don't mind cutting and buffing.  Absolutely great for a Challenge car. 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
5/7/24 4:43 p.m.

I'm on a Rustoleum car painting faceballs group and it's amazing what people can do with the product.

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/7/24 4:45 p.m.

I had to look up what a "turbo" can was. Wow. How do they stock those things?

Very interesting. I may have a use for this. Thanks!

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
5/7/24 6:35 p.m.

You can get some really cool effects with the Rustolium cans. I really like the 2X cans with a better nozzle. Black SUCKS to spray and unless you have years of doing body work and blocking it will not look good. It took me 13 cars to do my whole car not counting all the graphics I did after i was complete. For that I used Montana spray paint and that stuff is gold, like the best spray paint I have ever used. 

But black on a car that is not 100% perfect nothing you spay out of a can or gun is going to look good. your going to be sanding and buffing for hours so I just pay for the good stuff that levels out better. Black is cheap at my local spary supplier. 

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 HalfDork
5/7/24 8:30 p.m.

That 550 looks Great!

I do have many years of blocking unfortunately. It is actually sanding out very flat. 

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/8/24 11:45 a.m.

I believe that the key to capitalizing on the turbo cans is to only use white or flat black. The gloss black sprays in braille.

The "Custom Spray 5 tip" caps will swap onto other Rustoleum cans, including the turbo can, if you are looking for a more controlled pattern. 

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 HalfDork
5/8/24 4:05 p.m.

Gloss black sprays like drywall texture smiley

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
5/8/24 4:11 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:

You can get some really cool effects with the Rustolium cans........

Love the look  of the 550,

What was the color code on the aluminum color you ended up using ?

Thanks

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 HalfDork
5/18/24 5:12 p.m.

Retraction on above post! Do not use the Turbo can it lays down way too much texture. Did a fender in the 5 in 1 Rustolium today and it works amazing on the #4 fan setting. 

Hoppps
Hoppps Reader
5/22/24 8:00 a.m.

There was another thread talking about how the paint is still soft/not dry feeling for a long time after with rustoleum. Is that the same for your fender? I'm wanting to do this to a whole car soon

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/26/24 2:54 p.m.

In reply to OjaiM5 :

Checking in here. How did the 5-in-1 come out? Obviously it laid down smoother than the Turbo can. Did you end up sanding and polishing it?

I'm about to revisit some paint work on a driver and the Turbo cans seem to work okay, at least in white.

HotNotch
HotNotch Reader
10/2/24 3:01 p.m.

I used the 5-in-1 can in white on my MIL's RAV4 after she had an oopsie with the rear 1/4

It laid down pretty smooth on the fan setting - way heavier than a normal tip.  I would think it could be sanded and polished with enough coats.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/2/24 3:46 p.m.
HotNotch said:

I used the 5-in-1 can in white on my MIL's RAV4 after she had an oopsie with the rear 1/4

It laid down pretty smooth on the fan setting - way heavier than a normal tip.  I would think it could be sanded and polished with enough coats.

What year RAV4, and how close was the color?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iUrhFPHbLxOZD0EdNaOSE6QeXiu2ssNZWLOUovZID0HvFo7rP34Und0nb08H32lc