Turbo_Rev
Turbo_Rev Reader
4/6/24 11:41 p.m.

So, I found a 1989 Honda Civic. 121K miles, $2900. No AC. 4-speed manual. Blue. I think that makes it an STD (lol). Seller has a clean title. No known issues to report, no rust. I'm thinking of looking at it in-person tomorrow. 

What's there to look out for with these, besides the usual used car stuff? Anyone tracked their MPG in one? 

I don't think it has an overdrive, so that will be a little painful (for both interstate speeds and MPG) but if it can average >30, I'd be over the moon.

It would serve as a untouched daily driver, no race car antics, no K-series hijinks, just moderately spirited (huh?) shifting through the H-pattern to and from work and routine maintenance (listen to that D-series sing!).

It does have a big, dumb, boi racer "CAI" on it, so returning that to factory would be the first project. I'm slightly concerned about what other Fast N' Furious impulses the P.O. was taken by, but it looks completely and utterly untouched otherwise. 

I'd probably put a head unit in it and better component speakers and call it a day. What sayeth we?

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/6/24 11:50 p.m.

Gen 4 wink

Turbo_Rev
Turbo_Rev Reader
4/7/24 12:06 a.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Thank God you said that, I don't want to imagine what your typical FB marketplace Honda fan boy would do if I accidentally called his Gen 4 a Gen 3. Seriously. 

BoulderG
BoulderG Reader
4/7/24 12:33 a.m.

Had a 1991 Si which is kinda different from your base model. Loved everything I can remember about it. Great in every way all year round.

Gotta think the four-speed is going to be no fun on the highway?

Depending on your area, no A/C seems tough these days, too. 
Good luck!

blacksheep
blacksheep New Reader
4/7/24 7:38 a.m.
Turbo_Rev said:

So, I found a 1989 Honda Civic. 121K miles, $2900. No AC. 4-speed manual. Blue.

Anyone tracked their MPG in one? 

I don't think it has an overdrive, so that will be a little painful (for both interstate speeds and MPG) but if it can average >30, I'd be over the moon.

If the car is mechanically sound, 30+ MPG won't be a problem:

10001110101 Reader
4/12/24 3:55 p.m.

Great little runabouts. I had a 90 DX hatchback for a couple years. Make sure the timing belt is newer and adjust the valves. Great economy, and the revs really aren't too bad on the highway with the 4 speed. 

Turbo_Rev
Turbo_Rev Reader
4/12/24 4:43 p.m.

I should've responded sooner:

It went on Marketplace at 8 p.m. the same day I made this thread. It was sold the next day at noon. 😄

Turbo_Rev
Turbo_Rev Reader
4/12/24 4:43 p.m.

I should've responded sooner:

It went on Marketplace at 8 p.m. the same day I made this thread. It was sold the next day at noon. 😄

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O59exWefLaJfXrgFq1rqhki0ecDaFBbCg79bc1QG7allDYtAujgjYI51FGBf23BN