nsogiba
nsogiba Reader
10/14/24 1:10 p.m.

I recently picked up a "forever truck" in the form of a 2005 Suburban 2500. It's optioned exactly as I want and I plan to drive it year round here in lovely Buffalo, NY. The truck has absolutely zero rust on the body and only surface rust on the frame as it lived most of its life in Idaho and Arizona. 

Since I would like to keep it as long as possible, I am looking into undercoating options. 

My research has led me to Fluid Film and Woolwax. Fluid Film seems easier to apply but washes off more easily, while Woolwax is more robust when applied but is a little more tricky to get on the tough to reach areas. 

I have a heated garage with a lift so it is not an issue to perform the job myself, as the cost to buy all the tools and materials is probably about the same as a professional 1 time application.

Amazon woolwax kit

Thoughts, experiences, comments on brands and application methods? 

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
10/14/24 2:27 p.m.

Check out the Repair Geek channel on youtube. Lots of good info on prepping and applying lanolin based undercoating.

I'd also look at B'laster Surface Shield. It's a bit thinner, so it's way easier to apply when it is cold out and doesn't wash off as easily as Fluid Film or Woolwax.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/14/24 3:05 p.m.

I'm planning on hitting my car with Surface shield as well this year, seams like it goes on thinner to get down into seams but then thickens up and lasts longer. I'm keeping an aerosol can on hand to do spots as I pull fender liners etc while working on the car so I can hit stuff when it is convenient but plan on buying a gallon to do a full application in the next few weeks. I did have to change the tip of the can as the stock one constantly clogged on me.

I like the DIY approach, my car has been Krowned in the past and it seems like they hit a lot of spots that are obvious like when you pop the hood but then when you crawl under the thing the areas that are completely missed are apparent. Great, my shock towers are coated under the hood but my rear subframe has rusted out as it has never seen a drop of coating, perfect.

You can also buy those plugs they use at the undercoating shops on amazon if you're going to drill any access holes to get into the rockers etc.

KonaBoss
KonaBoss Reader
10/18/24 9:03 a.m.

Following since I'm on the hunt for a very similar GMT800 2500 'Burb. I have used woolwax in the past with great success. Bought a 5 gal bucket and their professional sprayer with the various attachments. I think I did 6-7 vehicles with that bucket, most of which were large SUV's or 1/2 ton trucks. Holds up well for 2-3 years before touch-up is beneficial in the high-wash areas. My preferred method is to take the vehicle to one of our local rent-a-hoist shops as they usually have a big air compressor and its a much easier job up on a lift. If I'm being meticulous I can usually get the surface prep and application done in 4 hours or so. If you see another good deal on a 2500 send it my way!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9nC7UXMJVtwQnHru57EJ4zNGDvDLzR6yRxDMoX2HwLpEaQurXMUjvppWZkAvAgCa