SphinxRacing
SphinxRacing New Reader
4/28/22 2:35 p.m.

I need to replace some old fuel jugs with some better ones for racing.  Looking at the VP ones, it seems that white is the easiest one through which to see levels.  However, I know some states "require" the use of red ones for gasoline.  Anyone in one of those states been hassled for having the wrong color and not allowed to fill up?

I see people with all sorts at the track and don't quiet understand why someone would buy other colors for gasoline other than white (for visibility) or red (for compliance).

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/28/22 2:36 p.m.

White for me. 

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/28/22 8:48 p.m.

Being the Purple Frog, I of course started out with purple ones.  Now every one in the shop and trailer are white.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/28/22 8:57 p.m.

I have the white VP Racing ones, for the same reason as you, you can see how much is in them. But I did, in fact get hassled the last time I went to Costco to fill them. In short, they wouldn't let me do it, they said they were "unauthorized containers". So I went to Meijer, which doesn't have anyone on the lot to watch you, and filled them up there.

spedracer
spedracer New Reader
4/30/22 1:12 p.m.

I have some red and some white. White are best IMO for what's already been mentioned - glancing at them and seeing how much fuel is left. That said, I can't remember a time that actually mattered enough for me to think about it.

As far as compliance, the VP jugs are marketed as "utility jugs" and filling them with gas is illegal in the US anyway. I'm sure a red jug would never raise an eyebrow with an employee, but I've never had an issue either way.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/30/22 1:18 p.m.

I have the red ones. I mean, white is probably easier but you can easily see how much gas is left in the red ones as well. 

SphinxRacing
SphinxRacing New Reader
5/16/22 11:21 p.m.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.  Very helpful.

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
5/17/22 1:55 a.m.

In reply to spedracer :

They're only illegal because they don't have the vent cap required by the CARB and there's a breather valve on the jug. 

I have a red one so I don't get hassled at the gas station lol, I can see the fuel levels just fine on it. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/17/22 2:35 a.m.

I use the white ones so I can tell the 100LL that my Formula Ford uses apart from the 91 Octane pump gas that my Miata burns.  100LL is blue.  I've had someone ask why I have 10 gallons of windshield washer fluid in my trailer.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/19/22 9:27 p.m.
hunter47 said:

They're only illegal because they don't have the vent cap required by the CARB and there's a breather valve on the jug. 

Yup.  They're only illegal because they work.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/19/22 9:51 p.m.

You should just save your money and buy hunsakers once.

They are amazingly better than the vp jugs.

glyn ellis
glyn ellis New Reader
6/3/22 10:46 a.m.

Are there any fuel jugs that will fit under a tonneau cover on a full size pickup? I have a Ram 1500, and the VP jugs are too tall to be carried upright with the cover down. 

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/9/22 10:25 p.m.

slightly off-topic, but at a rally a couple years ago a team near us was using white jugs for their gas. During a fuel stop someone mistakenly grabbed the white jug at the pit next to theirs and dumped it into the fuel tank. Except it was water. They missed a stage while draining the gas tank lol...

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/10/22 5:59 a.m.

I got some in a bunch of different colors. Red is ethanol free 93, yellow and blue are 89 and clear is ethanol free 90. 

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/10/22 11:16 a.m.

I use yellow for diesel, red for gasoline, white for E85 and blue for water.

And labels are important, just under the handle so I can read it as I pour.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/10/22 12:20 p.m.

Opaque white from rural king, they're mostly clear and cheaper than all the racing fuel brand jugs. 

grafmiata
grafmiata UltraDork
6/10/22 8:19 p.m.

We use red,  because that's what is in the trailer.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/10/22 11:12 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Plus this 1000x

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oKYOCff1rg04Utu1atvnpFcEYXHAtr7nxvVbIEbJx0bzxzT47h0hvTjgsW9Jx8G2