1 2
BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/2/14 2:29 p.m.

I know there are already a lot of things going around with the GT5 series wrapping up and GT6 series testing about to begin... but...

I've wanted to run an endurance race with real people. I'm thinking something along the lines of the 2.4 hours of LeMans or Spa. It would be Touring Car-ish, it would have time and weather effects enabled.

Obviously there are challenges with this type of race. Timing and participation (no rage quits) are the 2 largest. So, I thought I would float the idea and see what folks think.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
1/2/14 3:29 p.m.

I don't think I could do 2.4 hours. I'd need beer breaks.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
1/2/14 3:34 p.m.

I'm in.

MCarp22
MCarp22 HalfDork
1/2/14 3:42 p.m.

I'm in!

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
1/2/14 3:52 p.m.

No real interest, but go for it! Make sure to get a few pics.

You might want to add an intermission (forced pit stop, stop racing for 5 min) at 1.5 hours in (or every hour) for the weak bladdered old men in the crowd

BradLTL
1/2/14 11:16 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: I don't think I could do 2.4 hours. I'd need beer breaks.

Just put a cooler by the PlayStation :D

failboat
failboat SuperDork
1/3/14 5:28 a.m.

I do like a good endurance race. Kind of disappointed there arent any in GT6 (yet)

BradLTL
1/3/14 3:14 p.m.

4 ins, 1 maybe, 1 no...

Need a bigger field than this to really have an enjoyable race. Might open it up to GTPlanet... thoughts? GRM rules would still be enforced.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
1/3/14 3:19 p.m.

I'd be in depending on when it is scheduled

BradLTL
1/3/14 3:19 p.m.

@Dave... I'm counting you as the "maybe"

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
1/3/14 3:21 p.m.

call me a maybe

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
1/3/14 3:21 p.m.

More is better.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/3/14 3:57 p.m.

I would try it. Not sure I would finish it with kids and other demands on my life at the moment. We would need a lot more info on car type PP limits mod limits etc. Maybe do a 30 min race the week before for some test and tune and to see if there are any ringer cars.

When you say touring cars be more specific. What are you thinking? If it is the GT type cars those can get quite pricy and some out there are cash strapped at the moment.

BradLTL
1/4/14 11:03 a.m.

Yes, this was just the gauge the interest. More testing and details will be put together before scheduling the race.

Advan046
Advan046 Reader
1/4/14 4:13 p.m.

I would need the date and time before I commit but I want to do one endurance race.

Slalom
Slalom New Reader
1/4/14 4:49 p.m.

The longest races I have done are 30 minutes, I would like to do a longer one like 45 minutes or an hour, but 2+ is a bit too long for my taste. Problem is that if you don't have a ton of people it could easily just be open lapping and not as fun in my opinion. Especially back of the pack left in the dust (where I would most likely be)

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
1/4/14 5:19 p.m.

Turn the tire an fuel use up and you will get a lot of passing. Even with our 20 min races, with people using different strategies, you get a fair amount of catching up and slowing down as tire and fuel issues arise. Especially if you use a smaller track.

The one thing that longer races bring out (I used to do some 30 min plus races) is fatigue. It can take a fair amount of effort to maintain concentration. Gives you a lot of respect for endurance racers (although I am sure it's a bit easier to maintain concentration in a live, loud car then in your living room with your cat trying to get on your lap)

Graefin10
Graefin10 SuperDork
1/4/14 5:46 p.m.

Brad, IIRC we ran a couple of races in the early series that you organized for us that were in the 40 min. range. I've got to admit, it wore me out.

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
1/4/14 8:42 p.m.

I'd be interested but not sure I could participate. The next couple months seem to be school and baby prep time. I'm open to suggestions on how to brainwash a baby to love cars, though.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
1/4/14 10:00 p.m.

I am pretty sure anything the baby see's the parent enjoy will have some appeal to them at some point (assuming they like the parent of course).

General exposure in a non-negative way of course is always useful, such as sound of racing while an infant. GT is probably close enough. Babies do like to imitate their parents, so make sure the little one sees you sawing the wheel in some quality GT time (safer then taking him/her for a spirited ride).

BradLTL
1/6/14 10:43 a.m.

Ok... tentative list of eligible cars..

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvtiYWdRI42fdEFLdld4MzljYUZtcTVlYlVIUFlULVE&usp=sharing

I haven't done any test drives yet, and there is a fairly wide range of PP levels. I suspect that there may be some good gaps in speed, but the price will be paid in mileage and tire wear.

Any volunteers to help test these cars on Spa?

Testing process:

1. All cars are tested stock with RH tires, wear set to Fast.
  2. Everyone run 10 laps in the RE Amemiya RX7 GT300. This will give a benchmark of each tester performance which will then be used to apply a PAX type factor to the other cars times.
  3. Request cars you would like to test (this is to ensure we cover all the cars, but you still have the opportunity to drive cars you like).
  4. Run at least 5 clean laps with each tested car. Record the average time and the gas / tire wear.
  5. Email me results.
  6. I'll summarize them in the above spreadsheet for everyone to review. Then we can eliminate ringers.

Thanks!

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/7/14 1:19 a.m.

Interesting group of cars. I would be up for the endurance racing. I will see if I can do a bit of testing at Spa.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
1/7/14 11:36 a.m.

I'm guessing no time spent on tuning each car's suspension and such since that would take a long time to get through each vehicle.

failboat
failboat SuperDork
1/7/14 11:56 a.m.

dumb question. how do you set your tire wear? do testing in an online lobby?

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
1/7/14 12:12 p.m.

Yup. You will need to open a lobby and set the tire wear there.

You cannot test tire and fuel use offline.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7RHtnixyFnECmrhAxodMoxVxJhqYiekzS3q5kGbWBX4Kc3Xwhpwx0DRrX3hMB7hS