Wednesday works for me as well. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/7/21 5:41 p.m.

MR2 is definitly on the list. 

dean1484
2/7/21 5:44 p.m.

I am looking for NHIS (New Hampshire International Speedway). but the road course. 

Air have you looked in to what it takes to make tracks?  

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/7/21 6:10 p.m.

There is a track making tool out there, here is the tutorial:

https://assettocorsamods.net/threads/build-your-first-track-basic-guide.12/

You will need a 3D program capable of exporting FBX 2012 format.  I have played with Blender a bit, but it's not exactly intuitive so I didn't go to much into it..  I could probably help with textures though if needed.  I suspect the tricky part will be getting the elevations right.  The high quality tracks are laser scanned.  There apparently ways to get the basic layouts out of other programs.

There used to be a simple AutoX course builder someone built out there but the links are all dead now.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/7/21 9:02 p.m.

I checked out a few cars in the BTCC mod, its good fun (http://assettomods.com/btcc-mod-v2-0-march-2020/).  Definitely cars that cooperate with you much more than the trans am cars.

They seem balanced.  All are FWD but one.  All are the same weight but one - oddly not the RWD one.

Super close ratio transmissions, super stiff suspensions, super late braking.

dean1484
2/7/21 10:04 p.m.

Those sound fun!!!  

dean1484
2/8/21 2:16 p.m.

I found this

http://assettomods.com/porsche-944-951-turbo-wangan/

Yes it is the turbo. 

I did not find a 280Z

But an FC RX7 is here

http://assettomods.com/mazda-rx7-series-4-1988-na/

I think I am going to test these and see how the performance of them stacks up.

There is an older FB RX7 in this car pack

Just running the group C cars could be fun!!!

http://assettomods.com/mod-update-atcc-group-c-pack-beta-v1-2/

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/8/21 4:57 p.m.

Here is some more info on New Hampshire Motor Speedway, with some good info on various layouts, and historical layouts:

https://www.racingcircuits.info/north-america/usa/new-hampshire-motor-speedway.html

Pretty much all the car packs from Assetto Mods look pretty good.  I suspect you would find their Group A pack pretty interesting also:

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/8/21 6:55 p.m.

I updated the date on the first post to Wednesday. 

I need to see if I can figure a decent way to connect my chair (old Scat car seat no on office chair rollers) to the wheel and pedals.  The new brake mod requires a lot more force and I think I am a bit too reluctant and it's hurting my driving.  I also may need to start wearing shoes(!)

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/8/21 9:31 p.m.

Post up a pic of your chair.  Does it need to stay on rollers?

I can think of 2 pretty easy ways to accomplish it

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/9/21 12:26 p.m.

Here is a shot:

I will start by just strapping the two A points.  Not a good solution, but it will allow me to see if heavy braking will tend to tip the chair back (probably not, the angle is pretty low).   I am thinking a more permanent / solid solution would be to join the X's and O's with either some angle iron or some wood.   The O areas is where there is area in the molding of the legs that would allow a hole to be easily drilled through.

I am thinking the ideal solution would be to have either two metal or wood "legs" that slide over the O's (maybe butterfly bolted on) then slip over the legs at X in a tight C shape (hopefully not requiring any tightening bolts).  The question will be if it will be stiff enough not to be a problem / distraction.

I do want to keep the wheels on the chair, so it's still useful as a chair.  It being able to roll should not be an issue if it can be attached stiff enough.

Future improvements would be some sort of monitor stand to get the monitor a bit closer (but not be able to knock it off) and relocating the shifter so it's a bit closer to reality (lower and farther back).

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/9/21 12:47 p.m.

What on earth is that metal contraption?!?

What I was thinking is basically put 2x4s on their side (blue), put a pedal plate on the other end (red), and you can set the base of the chair on it and the wheels will remain just slightly off the ground.  See this highly detailed cad drawing below:

It seems like if you did the 2x4 thing you could just clamp them to the metal frame (A) and sit the chair on them also.  Forget all the pedal nonsense.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/9/21 2:00 p.m.

The frame is one of those small foldable work tops (wheel and shifter clamped to the work surface).  The front used to be the same as the back, but the down bar was a big issue, so I cut off the leg, cut it up and made it into an open pedal stand / box (the pedals are bolted to it via some metal you can't see).  It has been slowly evolving (yes, it would likely have been better just to start with one of those foldable wheel / chair setups)

Your concept would be an easy way to tie everything together, but I do want to keep it a bit foldable / storable since it does not have a dedicated space.

I do wonder if I could run something from the front legs to the chair (the two things pushing against each other).  When I brake, the pedals (attached to the frame) and the chair will want to move away from each other.  It might make it a bit more difficult to get it though.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/9/21 2:58 p.m.

Mount the 2x4s to the front crossmember with  u-clamps.  Set chair on them when in use.  Pivot up when not in use.  ?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/9/21 5:03 p.m.

Hmmm, I think you may have something there.   I am not sure if it would be more effective to have the slotted arms come down on the chair legs, or have the chair sit on them.  It will probably depend on clearance.  I think I could also weld some tabs on the the arm where the chair hits it to keep it from moving side to side (not a big issue obviously).

Definitely complies with my need for collapsible and easy to setup though.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/9/21 5:31 p.m.

More on topic... can we get a Big Block Chevy vs. V12 Jag race of some sort going :)

dean1484
2/9/21 8:02 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

More on topic... can we get a Big Block Chevy vs. V12 Jag race of some sort going :)

I think we need to do this and post up the results.  :-)

dean1484
2/10/21 7:35 a.m.

In the car pack above that Air posted there is a xjs-v12. We just need to find a big block based Chevrolet. Chevell or a Camaro would do nicely. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/10/21 10:31 a.m.

There is a 70 SS 454 Chevelle at Assettoland

Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454 LS6 1970 Redux

dean1484
2/10/21 11:55 a.m.

Ok this needs to be a side event tonight.  BTW we are on for tonight. The server is up and running so people can jump on when ever.  I will be joining between 8:30 and 9:00 eastern time.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/10/21 12:03 p.m.

I can add the SS to the download area.  It will be best to use the whole car pack for the Jag though.  I suspect it won't be fair though, the Jag is a race car, the 454 looks full street.  I think there is a 427 big block Corvette race car, does that work?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/10/21 12:35 p.m.

OK, I added the ATCC Group A pack, a stock Chevelle 454, another Chevelle, which might have a 454? surprise  And another vehicle that clearly has a 454 devil.   Uhm... there is no way this will be a fair race, in any way, but we need to just go with it.  Riverside should be a good track to create some "fairness"

This could get weird people.  Remind me to make sure to save replays, we could get some interesting pics out of this...  I can post them in the 454 vs V12 thread as a definitive test smiley

Note the second Chevelle comes up with an "OS" prefix in the alphabetical car listing (it does show under Chevy though)

cmcgregor, if you can show up tonight, it would be helpful.  Good night to be less than perfect.

dean1484
2/11/21 6:18 a.m.

That was fun last night. 

dean1484
2/11/21 6:27 a.m.

Should have picked a better car. The Cougar was no match for the Mustang. 

1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 160

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mj3BYJbHXVMyfRLv5FqWm0ceL4TqUSesCCKrHSGMYU4tIymq1q9vnwLjy3lgnCZu