1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 160
ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/20/21 8:43 a.m.

Last night I tried:

Ferrari 333:  Yes, it definitely needs a bigger track.  It does try and kill you a bit, but not overwhelmingly so.

AE86 Tuned:  So fun.  I need to tweak it a bit, but this is just a fantastic car.  Smooth and very rewarding to drive fast.

Cobra:  A monster.  Will kill you immediately.  But hilarious.

I really had problems with the brakes on all the cars.  I am now seeing why people do brake mods to the G29, or pony up for better pedals.  Stock, the rubber bumper makes it such a bitch to drive.  With the rubber bumper out its linear, but the spring is so soft its really difficult to feel where you are in the range of travel and to make minute adjustments.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/23/21 10:42 a.m.

I did the spring upgrades on my G27 which seems to help a bit.  I also just got a cable, to connect the pedals directly to the computer.  Apparently this allows far more precision in the output (something like 128 point resolution to 1024 point), so if nothing else, you can tune the range more efficiently.  I do not know if I can directly connect via USB to my PS4 though (if not, that will make it less convenient).  This might be helpful to you (set your range all near the rubber engagement point).

I ordered a quazi-loadcell type brake upgrade to see how that works.  Someone we race with did a similar upgrade and he did not like it much, but reviews say it effectively makes the brake force relative (though not rock solid) rather than position relative.  It's essentially a much harder spring (three options) with a much narrower measurement range.  It will certainly make heal-toe work a lot easier.  It's really hard when the brake supplies almost no support.

I also got a higher output power supply for the wheel.  Apparently the wheel (at least a G27), can stand to draw a more power and makes the force feedback more effective.  It might be a good idea to open up the vent holes in the wheel with this mod though to dissipate the likely additional heat. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/23/21 11:38 a.m.

Which quazi-load cell upgrade?  I have read good things about this:  https://www.axc-sim.com/product/brake-pedal-mod-for-logitech-g29-g920-g27-g25-pedals/

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/21 4:26 p.m.

Server has been updated (operating system updates) and we now have a new track and new cars to test / play with.  

Same Server Name: GRM_TEST

Password is the three letter acronym (lower case) for a popular automotive magazine based out of Florida

The Track

The cars

The 935 drives like a Yellowbird

Probably should be running Daytona. 

We can change it up if people want to.

dean1484
1/23/21 4:33 p.m.

Speaking of Wheels.  I can not get my G27 to work with my Computer.  It is like it detects the driver then looses the driver and it keeps doing this in rapid sucession.  I am wondering if there is a problem because I did have the G29 attached to it and it worked perfectly well.  Right now My old Momo Logitech is working but with only about 230 degrees lock to lock it is like driving a go cart.  On the other hand I have always liked very hight ratio steering  so it is not all that bad.  I just vastly prefer the feel of the G27

This is what I am running at the moment

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/23/21 9:50 p.m.

Maybe try installing the Logitech Profiler that is in the Google drive I linked on the first page?

I don't know if it was required to get mine working, but I did run it.

Also does "drives like the Yellowbird" mean it's super tail happy (real YB) or it understeers like an 82 civic with a 10 point buck strapped to the hood? (YB as portrayed in AC)

dean1484
1/24/21 2:19 p.m.

Supper tail happy goodness like it should be :-)

dean1484
1/26/21 6:58 a.m.

I should be around tonight any one up for some laps?  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/26/21 7:39 a.m.

I am in.  9:00 again?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/26/21 12:39 p.m.

I am around.  I want to see if direct connection of my pedals makes any difference and if it works with the PS4.  I don't think I will mess with the power supply at this point.

Dean, if you still have the shifter for your G27, you might be able to directly connect that to your PC.  I have that cable adaptor also, so I will test to see if that works also.

dean1484
1/27/21 1:04 a.m.

Good fun tonight.

The server has been updated with new content for those that want to turn some laps.

dean1484
1/27/21 2:28 p.m.

Our bit of searching last night after the racing via screen sharing netted us a whole bunch of cars to try.  Everything from 1920's Mercs to European truck racing to some VW bugs that look to be crazy fun.  I think I pulled down 20 cars. 

Something else we can try is racing everyones DD or we could try racing peoples race cars.  How about a series where we run 4-5 races each race we use some ones DD?  If you have more than one in your fleet we can definitely try more than one car. . . . . .  And yes trucks are also on the table as are SUV's and CUV's if we can find them to down load.  This could be fun and it would be interesting to here from people how well the game simulates your actual car.

If nothing else it would be fun to mess around with this even if we don't make a series out of it.

dean1484
1/27/21 2:31 p.m.

A quick sampling of things we found last night.

Not all were downloaded but we are definitly trying some of these.  :-)

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/27/21 4:29 p.m.

Some pics from the winterly races last night:

In the first corner Capitan Divebomb makes his move:

The Tangerine Torpedo delivers justice for the dive bomb:

Winterly driving continues:

The finish was close, but not too close:

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/27/21 4:56 p.m.

That was good fun last night!  I'll have to check out a few of the car packs posted earlier.  I'll run a few laps with each to see if they are somewhat balanced.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/27/21 9:05 p.m.

I updated the first post with the next race info (still needs more work / info).  I just did another quick set of evaluation races.  It seemed like we managed 3 races last night, so I am assuming that.  Dean, I am not sure what setting you want to use for timing etc.  If you want to make it 4 races, or 2, let me know.

Darwin, can you provide (just post here), a brief outline on how to best connect with Discord.  I am guessing it's get Discord, then post your contact info here, and one of use will send in invite.

Check it out and make sure the downloads work.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/27/21 10:03 p.m.

Discord instructions.  This looks long/complex, but I assure you it goes pretty fast and its very easy to use.

1) Read the Discord thread, if you wish: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/simulation-central/grm-discord-channel/177517/page1/

2)  Download Discord from https://discord.com/

3)  Once you get it up and running, send me a message on there.  My name is prodarwin#1538.  Put it in the upper left box.    Just let me know you want a GRM invite and your forum name if I don't have any way of identifying you.

4) Make sure your mic works.  I suggest you go to user settings (bottom left of screen):

Click voice and video, adjust your volumes, and your devices if necessary.  You can select push to talk or 'voice activity'.  Discord is actually very good at deciding when you are talking, so it works pretty well and saves you the need to bind a button.

5) Once you are in the forum, if a bunch of stuff has a locked symbol, PM one of the mods.  They will need to add you to the GRM group so you have access to the sub-channels.  

6)  When you are in the discord, you'll see this bar on the left, with all the channels you can join.

The important thing to note here is, when it comes time to play AC, look for the Assetto Corsa channel, if it shows some people below it, they are currently in the channel, which probably means we are racing.  Just click to join.

If you are in a text channel and want to get someone's attention you can @ them and it will display a notification, or send a push notification to their phone.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/27/21 10:49 p.m.

BTW, Aircooled, I think each person is going to have to request access from you to get the files:

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/28/21 9:28 a.m.

Yeah, let me look at that. I think I need to set the link to Editor level, to allow downloading files.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/28/21 10:28 a.m.
dean1484 said:

Speaking of Wheels.  I can not get my G27 to work with my Computer.  It is like it detects the driver then looses the driver and it keeps doing this in rapid sucession.  I am wondering if there is a problem because I did have the G29 attached to it and it worked perfectly well.  Right now My old Momo Logitech is working but with only about 230 degrees lock to lock it is like driving a go cart.  On the other hand I have always liked very hight ratio steering  so it is not all that bad.  I just vastly prefer the feel of the G27

This is what I am running at the moment

download the logitech g hub and it should solve this problem. SHOULD

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/28/21 10:57 a.m.

OK, I changed the permissions on the share folder.   Can someone (Dean or Gameboy) try and download the cars and track from the link at the bottom of the first post?

I set Gameboy as an editor, so I don't think the link will matter for him.  I will eventually set anyone who might want to set up a race as an editor eventually.

I also added the Discord setup info to the second post.  I figure I can eventually open a new thread an use the first three posts for info:  Current race - Setup / Getting Started Info - Resource Links (tracks, cars, apps, etc)

Anyone know what the formatting style (code) is on this forum?  I want to add titles and such to the first post to make it easier to read.

dean1484
1/29/21 11:22 a.m.

Worked for me I pulled down the mid Ohio to my office work station. 

dean1484
1/30/21 11:06 a.m.
aircooled said:

GRM ASSETTO CORSA RACE NIGHT

Weekly - Tuesday

6pm Pacific - 7pm Mountain - 8pm Central - 9pm Eastern

Race Server Name:  GRM_TEST  (The password is the three letter acronym of a popular automotive magazine based in Florida. (lower case)

Join the Discord channel:  Unofficial GRM Forum to allow audio chat.

Next Race

3 short sprint races to evaluate some cars and a course.  Download and install the following (link at end of post)

Track:  Mid Ohio Sports Car Course

57b1eaccbfa30.image.jpg (720×469)

Cars (one race each):

Volkswagen Beetle 3.0  (VW Fun Cup)  -  Mercedes SSK 1928  -  Lotus Elise SC Step 2 (no download required)

Download the cars and required track from the link below:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1vME9C0pSEoHrops3ol6xEer_0FAp-C54?usp=sharing

Server Updated and is now looping with these cars and this track.  

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/30/21 12:33 p.m.

Cool.  I will have to give it a try.  My load sensing brake mod came it, so I will have to give it a try with these.  The Fun Cup Bug BTW is apparently powered by a 3L Porsche engine.  Kind of nice they kept it in the spirit of the original engine (I suspect not an aircooled version though).  Looks like there is at least one variant with a 2L VW straight four though (booo).

Any thoughts on the timing of the races?   I think we used to get in 4 race sets in the normal 2 hours we normally run.  Whatever works, but we should pay attention for the next session if we want to adjust the timing at all.

Did we determine if someone else can log into the server and make changes?  That would be nice so we don't have to make Dean do all the work.

Here is a pic of my brake mod.  As you can see, it's a pretty nice design.  I will let you know how it works out.  Not sure what spacer to use (determines amount of movement).

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/30/21 5:36 p.m.

OK, did some laps.  Let me just say the Mercedes is the perfect car to test a pressure sensitive brake pedal!  You can stand on it and you just might notice the car slowing down!

The pedal mod seems to work great.  It will take a bit to get used to more realistic (for non-power brakes) brake pedal.  It does make heal toe a lot easier.  I would say I went with the highest motion spacer because without it you would get almost no movement.  Now, it's about 3/4" until real pressure is needed.  It does seem like threshold braking will be a lot easier.

The VW is a bit tricky, you need to be especially careful with downshifts (it's a sequential), they do tend to upset the car.  The Merc is great to start out with, almost no brakes, a super tall 1st gear (lot's of clutch needed), but rather easy to drive in general.   The Lotus is fun, and a lot more fun when you turn off the ABS and traction control.  The VW is a bit wild and does need to be under driven to avoid the spinning.

Should be an interesting night.  The track is a little bit bumpy in the VW, but I think a fun track in general (not terribly complicated).  It looks like the room saves the fastest lap, which shows when you leave the room (in the Content Manager at least).  It only seems to save the fastest though, so you cannot see it by car or any other place from what I can tell.

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 160

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kh6dROEDbnzp4TLnWunCxk7DYa3DXbdzkaIkHvdWi8fRyPwNxo84SyNwV9xufDxB