1 2 3
EP3CivicSi
EP3CivicSi New Reader
1/5/14 6:35 p.m.

I just dont want to run a serious race series on comfort tires of any type. To me they arent fun to tune with or race against. I see how they could seperate people based on abilities to not spin or waste traction but its not as if any w2w racing in real life uses all seasons, even lemons and chump use "sport" tires more or less. Just my opinion bc i want to participate.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
1/5/14 6:45 p.m.

To me the comfort tires were only fun in the showroom stock series when we ran slower things (in the miata range). That type of series can be fun. The early series where we had 500hp muscle cars on comfort tires was hateful though.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon SuperDork
1/5/14 6:51 p.m.

I'm with apex. Comfort tires are only fun on slow ass RWD cars where you can be a drift master at 35mph haha

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon SuperDork
1/5/14 6:53 p.m.

And I tried the shifter kart yesterday and I wasn't a huge fan. Very easy to spin (even with a wheel!).

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
1/5/14 7:05 p.m.

None of the proposed races are on comfort tires. The worst is Muscle Cars on Sport Hards (to try and reflect old school tires). We can experiment with softer tires for them, but I am a bit worried we may loose a bit of the power oversteer that is very useful in these cars.

I think the only time we will use comfort tires is either with really old, lower powered cars, or with Showroom Stock cars that come with them (mostly non-sports cars, or old non-race cars)

failboat
failboat SuperDork
1/6/14 7:25 a.m.

There's a career muscle car series that limits the cars to Sport Soft tires. I ran a 69 Z28, full weight reduction, Soft race suspension, Race Brakes, with the Sport Soft tires and it actually handled really well, or at least well enough that I didnt miss the car getting a little loose on corner exit. I tested several other muscle cars with similar results. Add a couple power mods to get them up to 500PP.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
1/6/14 11:19 a.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: And I tried the shifter kart yesterday and I wasn't a huge fan. Very easy to spin (even with a wheel!).

Interesting, I havn't gotten my wheel out yet, but on controller as long as I stay off the curbs it isnt too bad. Yes, its easy to get out of shape and lose speed, but thats why it would make a good and challenging series.

Ideally, we would do a series of shorter races with the karts. I think due to the smaller size and line options, we might be able to get away with a touch more aggressive sprint-type races with them.

Although, tire wear and fuel is an option, that could be interesting in karts.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
1/6/14 11:30 a.m.

Fuel and tire with karts. I have no idea how that works. Will they burn through tires and fuel, or will they barely use them? Can you even fuel or tire change a kart in the pits? I don't know. Unless they really use them up fast, I don't think we will bother though. I don't think anyone wants to run 20 min kart races.

I find the handling of the karts pretty strange also. They seem to be way easier to spin then a real kart. Then again, I don't use then much, so more the reason to test and a season might be a good way to learn to drive them properly. Generally, they seem to be all about smooth inputs, thus the reason why I am a bit worried about controller users.

TC
TC None
1/6/14 4:23 p.m.
aircooled wrote: Fuel and tire with karts. I have no idea how that works. Will they burn through tires and fuel, or will they barely use them? Can you even fuel or tire change a kart in the pits? I don't know. Unless they really use them up fast, I don't think we will bother though. I don't think anyone wants to run 20 min kart races. I find the handling of the karts pretty strange also. They seem to be way easier to spin then a real kart. Then again, I don't use then much, so more the reason to test and a season might be a good way to learn to drive them properly. Generally, they seem to be all about smooth inputs, thus the reason why I am a bit worried about controller users.

First off, I'm in on something! I haven't done any GRM stuff with GT5 or anything but I'd definitely be up for it. I find the carts handling vague and unpredictable at best, though the 125cc seem much easier to control than the 100cc (I think perhaps with the indoor cart place they were trying to simulate a really slick surface?). Guess I wasn't cut for it

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
1/6/14 10:30 p.m.
TC wrote: First off, I'm in on something!

Post your PSN ID. I can send you a friend request and you can stop by Wed after next and see what going on. I wonder if you can still send friend request from lobbies? That would be the easiest way to add a bunch of GRM'ers

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
1/7/14 3:29 p.m.

I did a bit of testing with the Rocket and a tuned up Muscle car (on Race and Sport tires).

The Rocket is so sticky there really isn't any reason not to just stay with the stock tires. If you put stickier tires on it it would be very hard to get it to break traction.

The Muscle car with mods and Race tires... well.. it wasn't terrible, but I am not a huge fan. It still maintains much of the handling characteristics, but I am not sure it adds to the enjoyment.

I don't know, I am still a fan of the stock suspension and sport tires. My primary worry there is that the differences between the cars may result one or a few ringer cars. It's not that big of a deal to setup a car both ways though so, that is what testing is for.

As mentioned previously, we could even do a bit of a progressive mod series, allowing adding of certain mods as the series goes on (suspension, drivetrain etc.)

TC
TC New Reader
1/7/14 4:25 p.m.
aircooled wrote:
TC wrote: First off, I'm in on something!
Post your PSN ID. I can send you a friend request and you can stop by Wed after next and see what going on. I wonder if you can still send friend request from lobbies? That would be the easiest way to add a bunch of GRM'ers

My PSN ID is Rockchops. I haven't played online at all yet, still plugging through the singleplayer campaigns.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/8/14 8:40 a.m.

I like me some Rocket Car!!!!!!!!!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
InqAuaD6uE6KJf0HYCNEAOuIDNL2uzGpGS5TXlqj3VtoRyMRSGuhezAGcjwMLwnJ