5ev3n
5ev3n New Reader
6/28/10 8:43 a.m.

I was looking at the 2009 Yamaha V-Star 250. It's the only small cc bike that doesn't look horrendously cheap (eh hem rebel). Anyone here anything good or bad about them? Aside from their lofty price? Anyone have a better bike idea?

Or anyone have a 650 or bigger V-star that they want to give away and I'll give her my old-school bike to destroy? (no? didn't think so...)

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
6/28/10 9:02 a.m.

I am not a fan of the really small bore starter bikes - once a person has been riding for more than 15 minutes they are going to be shopping for more bike unless they weight 40lbs.

A Kawi EX500 or Vulcan 550 isn't going to terrify anyone with its mad powah but it has enough scoot to get you out of trouble at real world highway speeds and should be pretty cheap. Good all-arounders that can do a weekend trip somewhere and not liquefy your kidneys make great first bikes.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
6/28/10 9:08 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I am not a fan of the really small bore starter bikes - once a person has been riding for more than 15 minutes they are going to be shopping for more bike unless they weight 40lbs.

That all depends on the person's skills, how they're going to use the bike, and their size - some people will never want or need anything more than a small bike. And, if they try to start out with one that's too big for them it could end up being too intimidating or unsafe. Besides, if they want to move up later they can always sell it.

To the original poster - how tall is your wife? Does she have any riding experience? Is this going to be for short rides or do you have plans for longer trips?

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
6/28/10 9:32 a.m.

Do you need a brandy new bike? You mentioned "lofty price", how about something pre-loved?

Dan

5ev3n
5ev3n New Reader
6/28/10 1:35 p.m.

Well, I'll try to paint this is nicely as possible, the wifey is a bit of a clutz. I wanted to stick to small bikes so we could do some country road traveling but in all honesty, I dont want her to get on the expressway. She has frightening late braking issues. I'd like her to share the enthusiasm I have for bikes, but I would also like to limit the speed she can attain before she late brakes. She has no prior riding experience and is 5'8" about 130 pounds. (Dont tell her I divulged that information). The only reason I was looking at new bikes as opposed to old is so that it would be in good working order. I'm currently going to school for my motorcycle repair technician certification but the way I've grown up, I know to deal with minor imperfections. (ie, heel-toeing a manual transmission vehicle when braking because the alternator is starting to fail or has idling issue; braking early and downshifting because of a yet to be determined brake issue) These are things that she's never dealt with.

benzbaron
benzbaron HalfDork
6/28/10 2:02 p.m.

I guess I might be a fanboi but the buell blast is a great little bike. Just put an aftermarket exhaust, rejet the carb, maybe change the airbox to something smaller, and you have a light, short, easy to handle bike. You said your wife is a clutz, well the blast has plastic body parts not fiberglass so you get to drop it a few times before you break something. Replacement parts are/were pretty cheap. The blast has a belt drive so no chain oiling, it also uses hydrualic tappets so you don't have to do valve adjustments. The only thing I don't like about my blast is it is pretty low as the exhaust is below the bike, and you can only go around 100miles on a tank of gas.

The brakes on the blast are excellent, just be sure your wife understands that 70% of the braking is in the front so don't be afraid to use it.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
6/28/10 4:01 p.m.

The Rebel is more of a cruiser looking bike. I vote for the TU-250 from Suzuki. Single cylinder standard bike. Kind of hard to find used, but relatively cheap new.

minimac
minimac SuperDork
6/28/10 4:19 p.m.

I would recommend a scooter. Only because they are automatic(less co-ordination needed) comfortable, and less intimidating to the new rider. If she can ride a bicycle she can easily drive a scooter. The China 150s aren't too bad and will run up to 55 or so. I would suggest an older Honda or Yamaha because they are virtually bulletproof, have a good resale, and if you ever do need parts, they're available. We have a 250 Honda Elite and it does everything you want plus more. I had bought a 400 Kaw for her and she could drive it, but never felt comfortable on it. She loves the scooter. It's easy to handle, easy to drive, uncomplicated, and plenty peppy enough. We too, cruise the countryish backroads, enjoying the scenery and she can keep up with my Goldwing without breaking a sweat. Plus you can get into one for under $1k.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Dork
6/28/10 7:18 p.m.

I want an Aprilia RS125 so bad but I don't know if they were ever imported officially to the US and every example I have seen hasn't been cheap.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
6/28/10 7:20 p.m.

The V-star will have a lower seat but at 5'8", something like that TU Suzuki pictured above would probably fit her okay. Since you're a motorcycle tech, another thought would be to pick up something like an old Honda CB200... they're as durable and simple as a stone ax, don't cost a lot of money and with a little searching you can probably find one in good shape (a friend of mine sold one a year or so ago that had about 1500 miles on it; it was virtually like new, and if I recall correctly it sold for around 5-600 bucks.)

44Dwarf
44Dwarf HalfDork
6/28/10 8:57 p.m.

How about a Suzuki S40 boulevard. They used to be sold as 650 savage but the S40 got maint free belt drive. they'll do 80 on the hi-way but are more suited for under 65. Wifes got an 07 or 08 that is 100% graet bike for her, I've only had to do a few things to it one was a small carb mod to keep it from back firing on quick throotle downs and i put on 3 inch wider bars This helped her see better as it moved the mirror out from her sholders.

250's were all just to much of a waste of time. She wants my c50 now that she's got miles under her belt. That mean i get to ride the 52 harley more if we sell the s40.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
6/29/10 12:45 a.m.

Don't over look the Honda Twinstar, if you end up looking at CB200s.

teamdixonracing
teamdixonracing Dork
6/29/10 6:56 a.m.

250 Ninja. Not quite cruiser style but my brother has been riding one as a daily commuter for a couple years not and it has been a good bike.

5ev3n
5ev3n New Reader
6/29/10 7:48 a.m.

Thanks everyone. I think I'll look towards the vintage bikes and do restorations for/with her. I'm a sucker for the old yams.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/29/10 2:20 p.m.

Starter for the missus?

I usually like to start by cooking dinner. Something manly like London Broil with asparagus with a nice blue cheese butter sauce. This along with a nice spicy red wine from Argentina or Chile. You can preface the meal with a simple caesar salad. It's quick, easy, and any bachelor can whip one up with just about any kit from the local grocery. Use a high quality caesar dressing like Newman's Own (racer naturally) if you aren't going traditional with the lemon and oil blend.

That's a nice starter to get her in a "receptive" mood. The wine will help. A good finisher could be some more wine and a dessert like cheesecake with fresh berries.

Hopefully you'll be able to "finish" the deal after a starter like that.

Oh wait...this is a car board right? Ah well. Still good advice above.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/29/10 3:28 p.m.
5ev3n wrote: I'm a sucker for the old yams.

Just a note...anything with an "RD" prefix is NOT a starter bike, regardless of how small it may be!

~Desmond (6'2" 180lb guy who has almost died a few times on an RD200)

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
6/29/10 3:33 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote: Starter for the missus? I usually like to start by cooking dinner. Something manly like London Broil with asparagus with a nice blue cheese butter sauce. This along with a nice spicy red wine from Argentina or Chile. You can preface the meal with a simple caesar salad. It's quick, easy, and any bachelor can whip one up with just about any kit from the local grocery. Use a high quality caesar dressing like Newman's Own (racer naturally) if you aren't going traditional with the lemon and oil blend. That's a nice starter to get her in a "receptive" mood. The wine will help. A good finisher could be some more wine and a dessert like cheesecake with fresh berries. Hopefully you'll be able to "finish" the deal after a starter like that. Oh wait...this is a car board right? Ah well. Still good advice above.

Starter for the Mrs? I like the starter on old Mopars. Good torque, decent price and an unmistakable whining sound.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/1/10 8:30 a.m.
5ev3n wrote: ...and is 5'8" about 130 pounds. (Dont tell her I divulged that information).

I must be a bit out of touch, because that sounds like bragging stats to me!

njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
7/4/10 4:11 p.m.

If you don't mind Harley's, the 883's are a pretty decent all around bike. They hold their value well, so depreciation is low.

My mother just learned how to ride on a 250 yamaha, and wants a bigger bike after about 2 weeks. She's determined to get the 883 lowrider.

Nathan

Opus
Opus Dork
7/5/10 10:12 p.m.

a good start is a Motorcycle safety course. After finishing that, she can get a bike. It may help with your training and change her mind.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
7/6/10 9:57 a.m.

+1 on the motorcycle safety course first. It can also give you a good idea of whether you want to try something a little larger than the range bikes or stick with a 250.

The V-Star 250 used to be sold as the Virago 250 and has been around for decades. I haven't ridden one and don't really fit on them myself, but they seem to hold up well from what I've heard.

The TU-250 looks pretty interesting too - I wouldn't mind getting one if I had the cash.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BkQS1SthbEHEyN72oY0dbZWbnfhJnDRNfcHSY0Bqca42dEq6bVUgSRJUhVP2bg9e