1 2
PHeller
PHeller SuperDork
6/5/12 12:23 p.m.

Notice that every. single. one of those dudes looks like a square except the guy on the Harley.

In the motorcycle world, the Japanese know best. And you don't see many Japanese riding Honda Shadows. You see them riding Harley's.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/5/12 12:55 p.m.

If you want a Harley but don't want to pay the HD price...get a Buell. The tube frame Buells are low maintenance when cared for and ridden with some mechanical empathy. They have a 100 hp sporty motor after 98 with buckets of instant on torque. You need that torque because the red line shows up fast at 7k. They aren't setup with a cruiser seating position but the standard riding position works really well for long stints. For touring you can find a low priced S3T with hard bags or get an M2 and use some throw over bags.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/6/12 12:11 a.m.
EvanB wrote: http://www.mgnoc.com/classifieds.html

I'd consider it if it weren't for the 1978 part. Early Guzzis were like early Fiats. You spend 360 days of the year making it operational for the 5 days a year you get to ride it.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/6/12 12:50 a.m.
ST_ZX2 wrote:
RealMiniDriver wrote:
curtis73 wrote: To me, the perfect bike would be something like a Dyna Low with fairings and soft bags. I've often drooled over Honda's new custom interstate. It looks like half chopper, half cruiser. Take the fairing and bags off for looking sharp at the club, put them on and hit the road for a week.
OK, so it's three grand more, but the Dyna Switchback will hold it's value better. If you're thinking about financing, that's what, ~$60/mo more, plus, the HD has a two year warranty, the Honda is only one year.
THIS. Paul is right-on. You only really know what something costs when you go to sell it. In that arena, H-D wins Hands-Down...and you get the "real thing" to boot.

Can't argue with that on any level. This will be a cash purchase, so I'm limited by the checkbook. BUT... if I could find a Dyna for $1500 more than a comparable metric ride, I might drop 4000 cash and finance the remaining $1500.

With cars, I have that resale value thing in the bag. I have darn near reduced our vehicle costs to zero by buying bargains, driving them for a couple years, and breaking even on the sale. I think if I found the right bike I would probably keep it until it disintegrated.

So (to potentially add to your information base): Resale isn't the top thing on my list. I don't want to get soaked on resale if I decide to sell, but my goal is to find a cash-purchase bike that fits the long-ride criteria and will last longer than my attention span. Make sense? If I find a good bike that will fit the bill, I won't want to sell it. If I skimp out and buy a Sportster I'll regret it and want to unload it.

To put it in car terms, a 2002-2005 Civic Si hatchback is a good looking car. That's what I'm looking for in a bike:

reliable: check
looks good: check
good on long trips: yes, with the possibility of needing better seats
room for a duffel: check

That's what I'm thinking.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/6/12 1:17 a.m.
curtis73 wrote:
EvanB wrote: http://www.mgnoc.com/classifieds.html
I'd consider it if it weren't for the 1978 part. Early Guzzis were like early Fiats. You spend 360 days of the year making it operational for the 5 days a year you get to ride it.

There are plenty of bikes at that link. Get a 00 or newer Guzzi and it will be every bit as reliable as a Harley at a lower price.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
6/6/12 3:58 p.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: Seems like you need to find a muscle cruiser (vmax, magna, similiar) or, and i hate to say it, buy a Harley.

V-Max. Yummy.

rotard
rotard Dork
6/6/12 4:49 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
CarKid1989 wrote: Seems like you need to find a muscle cruiser (vmax, magna, similiar) or, and i hate to say it, buy a Harley.
V-Max. $$$$$$

Fixed that for ya.

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 HalfDork
6/6/12 5:13 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote: If you want a Harley but don't want to pay the HD price...get a Buell. The tube frame Buells are low maintenance when cared for and ridden with some mechanical empathy. They have a 100 hp sporty motor after 98 with buckets of instant on torque. You need that torque because the red line shows up fast at 7k. They aren't setup with a cruiser seating position but the standard riding position works really well for long stints. For touring you can find a low priced S3T with hard bags or get an M2 and use some throw over bags.

The M2 is a great all-around bike. Already a "standard" riding position...and some relaxing on the bars could make it cruiser-esque. I also just saw a V-Rod (newer Night Rod Spl.) with apes on it--very upright riding position...not my cup-o-tea, but older 'Rods can be had pretty cheaply.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
6/6/12 5:43 p.m.
PHeller wrote: In the motorcycle world, the Japanese know best. And you don't see many Japanese riding Honda Shadows. You see them riding Harley's.

Cause the Japanese are the culture best known for style...

mpolans
mpolans Reader
6/6/12 6:29 p.m.
PHeller wrote: Notice that every. single. one of those dudes looks like a square except the guy on the Harley. In the motorcycle world, the Japanese know best. And you don't see many Japanese riding Honda Shadows. You see them riding Harley's.

From someone living in Tokyo, not true. Lots of tricked out Shadows here (called Steeds here). Lots of Harleys though too. Even saw someone wearing H.O.G. Hachioji patch. Some other crazy rare stuff too. Seen guys commuting on an old Indian Chief, a Vincent Comet, and a Honda NR750.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/6/12 6:33 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
PHeller wrote: In the motorcycle world, the Japanese know best. And you don't see many Japanese riding Honda Shadows. You see them riding Harley's.
Cause the Japanese are the culture best known for style...

Clearly

loudes13
loudes13 New Reader
6/6/12 8:42 p.m.

I really like muscle cruisers (along with dual sport's, motards, and sportbikes) and own a Yamaha Warrior. I would not consider any muscle cruiser comfy for longer rides. They are about looking cool and the rare burnout, not a comfortable riding position.

Used metric cruisers are pretty cheap, so are sport tourers, and standards. Adventure bikes seem to hold their value almost as well as Harley though. Most manufactures have 'ride & drive' events that tour around the country all summer. I suggest finding a local event and trying on a bike. what's comfy or desirable for one guy is a torture rack for another.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RI3glr6QQEcCRtyVHmrcu7gRz3ShIZux8K1WkYTaMjwUg4dLDSbUZN06dcSBy4eN