Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/14/12 11:03 p.m.

Well, it appears as if I've resolved the whole need-a-lighter-dirt-bike dilemma a little sooner than I had expected.

I mentioned to a friend of mine that I was thinking of building a lightweight bike for tight trails through the woods, since my DRZ400 was a little too big and heavy for the places that I wanted to ride. He said, "How about my Montesa?". I think we had both forgotten that he had it. Within 24 hours, I brought it home.

Photobucket

It's a Montesa Cota 315R. He bought it when it was about a year old. I rode it a few days later and then I don't think anyone has ridden it since. It's crazy light (160 pounds wet, vs. the DRZ at 317). Even the kickstand and rear sprocket are aluminum. It's powered by an HRC (Honda) water cooled two stroke.

I need to start by giving it a good cleaning. He builds Kydex holsters and it has been parked next to his scroll saw for a few years, so it's covered with black plastic dust. I'll go through the carb and cooling system, probably take a peek at the piston and cylinder, and replace the dry tires.

I should be climbing the sides of buildings in no time.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/15/12 12:25 a.m.

NICE!

Gasoline
Gasoline HalfDork
9/15/12 6:46 a.m.

That is great! Keep us posted!

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UltraDork
9/15/12 8:43 a.m.

Have you ever ridden a trials bike? I looked forward to it, and thought I was going to love it. I hated it.

Woody
9/15/12 8:53 a.m.

Yup. Loved it.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
9/15/12 9:49 a.m.

Nice! I've ridden trials bikes a couple of times, liked them but they are so specialized I personally would want one along with an MX or enduro bike.

Woody
9/15/12 10:51 a.m.

Enduro bike> check.

Flight Service
Flight Service SuperDork
9/15/12 11:18 a.m.

Awesome!~

Question, are you gonna leave it trials or make a sub structure and fit a seat to make it a trail bike?

Woody
9/15/12 11:21 a.m.

Not sure yet. I need to tear it down and assess the situation first. It only had one year of competition on it and then it sat for a long time.

Woody
9/15/12 11:26 a.m.

I have a bunch of huge boulders that I dug up a few years ago and moved to the edge of my property. It only makes sense to learn how to ride over them, so it will probably remain configured as a trials bike for now.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/15/12 1:20 p.m.
Woody wrote: I have a bunch of huge boulders that I dug up a few years ago and moved to the edge of my property. It only makes sense to learn how to ride over them, so it will probably remain configured as a trials bike for now.

That's spoken like a true trials rider!

Even though I haven't been on my trials bike(bicycle) for the last 2-years, I still drive by places & think "hmm..."

alex
alex UltraDork
9/15/12 2:51 p.m.

A trials bike with a small seat like on a Sachs Madass - just a place to plop your butt to rest your legs occasionally - would be hilariously fun for tight woods riding and short range urban assault.

Are they exceedingly softly-sprung? Are they ridiculously low-geared? What size is that motor?

Woody
9/15/12 3:12 p.m.

Yes. Yes. And 250cc.

drmike
drmike Reader
9/16/12 11:05 a.m.

Oh cool, a trials bike! Keep us posted on your adventures.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iy0V5nWiRTS4252Alh6rdGEUiDs5E8HKOsxSG6YPOUTHOnxXHe5TQ1OG2UMMlc4k