David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/6/13 8:28 a.m.

Here, an easy one. No funnel? How about fabricating one from a clean water or soda bottle? Of course this assumes you have a clean bottle. And a knife.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
12/6/13 8:33 a.m.

I've rolled newspaper ads into a funnel. (Assuming we can have two tech tips in one thread.)

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/6/13 8:35 a.m.

We can totally have two tech tips in one thread.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/13 8:37 a.m.

Griots Garage has this thing. Looks cool.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
12/6/13 8:38 a.m.

Aluminium foil works in a pinch...

Fold like a paper hat and cut the point.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
12/6/13 9:56 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Griots Garage has this thing. Looks cool.

oh
em
gee

want!

www.outmotoring.com/mini-cooper/form_a_funnel_44750.html

can basically be molded to just about any shape to help funnel fluids not only INTO your engine but also OUT. With a thin lead sheet inside the outer rubber covering made from a thick, pliable Nitrile rubber. Fluids from -30°F to 450°F won't harm the surface. Cleans up easily with a wipe (use our Oil & Grease Cleaner for faster cleaning). Store it flat or roll it up to fit in any space. Measures 14 1/2" x 6 1/2".
JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/6/13 10:19 a.m.

yup. soda bottle is my go to source for funnel material. I'll also cut them lengthwise to make a disposable trough for mixing fiberglass resin.

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
12/6/13 1:29 p.m.

I keep the top 1/3 of oil bottles to use as funnels (same theory). Small and large mouth (think Mobil 1) to fit into different size orifices.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
3/2/14 7:07 p.m.
Cone_Junkie wrote: I keep the top 1/3 of oil bottles to use as funnels (same theory). Small and large mouth (think Mobil 1) to fit into different size orifices.

I did this at the dealership. I'd cut it a bit taller so I could actually rest the bottle that's being emptied into that one. I'd also but 4 triangles into the bottle where the cap used to be. That way if the bottle was resting on a baffle, the oil would still drain and not chug out.

rande
rande New Reader
3/3/14 4:32 p.m.

Search Amazon for Pig Funnel. They have several different sizes.

erohslc
erohslc HalfDork
3/3/14 7:56 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote: Aluminium foil works in a pinch... Fold like a paper hat and cut the point.

Or a paper plate, rolled into a cone. Stapling the ends helps to hold it in shape.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/14/14 10:32 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Griots Garage has this thing. Looks cool.

I have one of these I picked up at NAPA... It's amazing. Although mine is currently in the basement contorted up against the wall where we're taking on some water during the spring thaw. It's amazing both in and out of the garage.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
3/14/14 10:35 a.m.

I cut milk jugs up for this purpose every oil change.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
3/14/14 11:34 a.m.

ah.... flexible cutting board sheets.... typically you get 3 or 4 for about $5... so you take one from the kitchen... (LEAVING IT IN THE GARAGE) and you have a flexible funnel

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/14/14 12:05 p.m.

Copy or printer paper works in a pinch.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/14/14 12:39 p.m.

If you need a funnel at the track and nobody has one, the inside of a granola wrapper has a metallic coating that will stand up to anything...just make sure you get all the granola crumbs off first!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/14/14 12:50 p.m.

Redline oil bottles are basically funnels. I have cut off many of their bottoms.

fritzsch
fritzsch Dork
4/9/14 10:12 p.m.

I used a dirty soda bottle I found in the trash, and still spilled oil.

rocksteadyracer
rocksteadyracer New Reader
4/24/14 1:11 p.m.

can't afford redline and my blacktop driveway needs re-surfacing I just spill on the driveway

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
R7o1tGFfjKsjH9ev3cB6GKbG3jsNIKH7Xx4IrGZETDDA5VkETGcJTMeFkhGA1KEG