Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
9/3/24 2:59 p.m.

SWMBO and I are going to Niagara Falls in early October.  I've been a couple times, she's never been, so in any case it should be fun.  Get there Wednesday afternoon, head home Saturday morning and recoup on Sunday before work.

I've been 3 times:  1) around Thanksgiving while living in upstate NY in the Navy (nuclear power training), a couple friends said let's go so why not, 2) went back again on a weekend in the winter alone, got to see it almost frozen over, just went for photos and nothing else to do, 3) with the ex-wife around 2007 I think, summertime, just ran around the Falls.

There's a bird sanctuary or something she wants to see.  I watched one of those Abandoned Places shows and some kind of power plant but forget the name, need to find that.

What else, considering we have ~2.5 days to kill.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
9/3/24 3:41 p.m.

Toronto isn't too far, if you have your passports handy. Lots of good stuff there.

Buffalo has some neat sights as well. There are two Frank Lloyd Wright houses that probably look awesome with autumn colors. There are cruises in the Buffalo harbor that show you some of the abandoned sights along the harbor. If the Buffalo Bills are in town, I heard that's an experience.

I spent many summers in Buffalo and lived in Rochester for a bit. It all depends on what you like. :-)

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/3/24 3:50 p.m.

Shelby's Canada!! 

Ok, so it's a shawarma chain in Canada, but it looks awesome, and we've been talking about getting our passports just to go. 

I haven't been to the falls since before you needed a passport, so I'm a little out of the loop on what's there otherwise. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
9/3/24 3:55 p.m.

I should specify, she has a passport, I just recently got the passport card, so we're definitely heading to the Great White North.  I mean they have the best view of the Falls!  (Yeah, every time I went was pre-passport needed).

Already have the hotel booked, Niagara Grandview Boutique Hotel in Niagara Falls, Ontario.

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/3/24 4:22 p.m.
Jerry said:

I should specify, she has a passport, I just recently got the passport card, so we're definitely heading to the Great White North.  I mean they have the best view of the Falls!  (Yeah, every time I went was pre-passport needed).

Already have the hotel booked, Niagara Grandview Boutique Hotel in Niagara Falls, Ontario.

My wife took me along on one of her business trips and we stayed in the Crowne Plaza, which is near where you're staying. We flew into Toronto and traveled via car to the hotel. 

I enjoyed walking up the hill to Tim Hortons each morning for my breakfast and coffee. We don't have places quite like that here in Texas so it was novel.

My wife did the zipline and really enjoyed it.

The falls are quite impressive to look at from up on the hill where the hotel is.  But you have to take the boat ride to really see it. What looks impressive from the shore is E36 M3 your pants impressive when you're on a boat out there in the middle of Horseshoe Falls. Holy E36 M3 that is a lot of water.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/3/24 4:40 p.m.

Butterfly Conservatory if you are so inclined is well worth the visit. The Welland Canal is pretty interesting especially from the Colborne end at lake Erie.  Great perch and chips stand and you get right close with the ships as they go down or up the locks.

If you like to hike, there are great trails along the river leading up to the whirlpool. Look for the niagara falls parkway around niagara-on the lake. Niagara-on- the- lake is Gods way of telling you you have too much money; that kind of town.

The wine tours are great on bike or with some tour operator. Be warned that Ontario has a .05 blood booze limit and that ain't hard to go over.  I like the E-bike option as it lets you move right along and not run the risk of the law.

Maid of the Mist is a must if you have not done it. There is a whirlpool jet-boat ride that may or may not be as good; never done it. Looks like fun from the shore when hiking the river.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/3/24 11:09 p.m.
RevRico said:

Shelby's Canada!! 

Ok, so it's a shawarma chain in Canada, but it looks awesome, and we've been talking about getting our passports just to go. 

I haven't been to the falls since before you needed a passport, so I'm a little out of the loop on what's there otherwise. 

Lots of great Shawarma up here in little family owned spots, I've driven past a Shelby's and thought it looked good so I'll definitely check one out. Looks like we'll have one in Waterloo soon and Cambridge isn't far either.

On the American side it's worth checking out the Niagara Falls State Park, you can get right up next to the Falls for some decent views. Just down the river at the ruins of the Schoellkopf Power Station there is a free elevator to go to river level, from there you can just check out the history of the plant that was there or go for a hike, with how busy everything is in the area it was nice when we went as very few visit this spot so it was nice and quiet.

On the Canadian side the Niagara Parks Power Station is probably what you were thinking of, I toured the other year just before they opened up the Tunnel so I'll need to go back to check that out. It's just nice walking along the river in the park and taking it in. Parking in the Park is pricey (but CAD so not too bad I guess lol).

harpercrane3
harpercrane3 New Reader
9/4/24 7:54 a.m.

If you want to get cheap business card designs for you business, go for Logo Design Canada. 

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/4/24 8:10 a.m.

I guess you could rent a Canoe while you're here.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
9/4/24 9:02 a.m.

In reply to adam525i :

Maybe someone serves flounder.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
9/25/24 10:51 a.m.

2 weeks from today.  I just got an email from reserving the hotel earlier, and the first option listed...

They do meantion a Bird Kingdom admission which will probably happen.  Likely a tour, or we'll just walk around.  The boats will depend on the temperature.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jdclGPxOVRlFc0lPPOtOfvaiPo0a5iryVauQNLPrQUT3pkGkhQynYAYgESEtxxqr